Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2006 11:35:34 AM EDT
I have had several SKS's in the past, including Russian, Chinese and Albainian. I really like the SKS because its an accurate, rugged and reliable weapon which can be obtained for a minimal investment, not to mention accessories are nearly endless. With my pevious SKS's I was unable to find a satisfactory hi-capacity magazine setup. Typical SKS 30 round magazines aren't very reliable as the front tends to drop out of the stock causing FTF, and it seems to be nearly un-avoidble unless you were to semi-permanantly install it. On my Norinco SKS, I installed the non-detachible 20 round magazine, which worked perfectly and could be charged rapidly with strippers though wasn't as ideal as having multiple replacible 30 or 40 round magazines. My question is,

whats the best solution for using 30 round magazines with an SKS? I have heard some gun-store talk about converting SKS's to use AK magazines, but I am unsure of how involved this process is and how expensive/practical. Is this a common modification and is it something my smith could do relatively easily for a fair price, or is it to involved and expensive? Is there a solution to make standard 30 round SKS magazines 100% reliable? Im planning on buying a Yugo SKS in good condition, so long as it has a perfect bore. I have a need for a reliable, hard hitting semi auto carbine for my truck which can take a beating. I want an SKS because they are rugged and cheap and when it jumps off my rifle rack when I am off roading in my truck, I wont care if it gets dinged or dropped in the snow. If nothing else, I will return to my 20 round non-detachible magazine, but would rather find another solution. Any imput would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 2:40:26 PM EDT
[#1]
buy a ak, no such thing as a reliable hi cap mag for a sks
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:38:06 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
buy a ak, no such thing as a reliable hi cap mag for a sks

+1.

Buy an SKS for what it is.  Want magzines?  Get an AK.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:47:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Hi

I have an SKS m model that takes AK mags

I like it you may want to look into one

Kid
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top