Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 11/12/2003 8:03:29 AM EST
Ok, I know this doesnt go here so feel free to move it to the NFA section if thats whats required. Im asking here because the NFA section has ZERO posts.

I want to SBR (short barrelled rifle) a post ban Krink. Its my understanding that; A. I can do this as an individual, ie., its does not require having a Class 2, or 3 dealer's involvement, and B. The proper form is a form 1. Additionally, I will need an LEO sign off, fingerprint cards, my picture and a $200 check to BATF.

Rant: So I call ATF to confirm (I must have a gulity conscience because this gave me a stomach ache and heart palpitations) and no one knows. Get told to call local branch in Ok City. Agent there says, he's not sure this can be done on a weapon specifically named in the AWB. Call tech branch. Get transfered. Finally end up being told I need to write them a letter to get an answer. The response "SHOULD" only take 30 days. Yes, another example of my tax dollars at work (or not).

So the questions:

1. Can a post ban Krinkov be SBR'ed? - I think yes.

2. Can be done by a private nonlicensed (FFL) person? - I think yes.

3. I will need a completed Form 1, fingerprint cards, passport photos, $200 check and LEO signoff stating that I'm not a bad guy and an SBR'd weapon doesnt violate any local laws.

4. Mail all of 3 to ATF.

5. Wait FOREVER, get approved form 1 and tax stamp back.

6. Remove fake can from Krink.

Please advise and sorry about the length.

Link Posted: 11/12/2003 8:35:39 AM EST
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 8:41:21 AM EST
You don't like fake cans. You must be outta your mind. Oh! you mean like a suppressor.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 12:38:45 PM EST

Don't forget the citizenship certification form.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 2:27:22 PM EST
Its a scary thing when the folks who may kick down your door, sodomize your cat and shoot your dog dont know the laws they claim to enforce.

Thanks for the confirmation guys. When I told the last idiot I talked with that requested I write letter to get an answer said, "Well, I guess you could do that." after I told her I would do the above nubers 1-4 and just see if I when pending!
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 3:33:53 PM EST

Originally Posted By NEWGUN:
Don't forget the citizenship certification form.

Don’t know what that is but it’s been a while since I’ve done one. I do remember something like that coming along right after my last one. What is it exactly and where do you get it?

Link Posted: 11/12/2003 3:44:07 PM EST

You’re on the right track. No problem NFAing a post-ban weapon, just has to continue being post-ban. Call you’re local office back and just ask that they send you two (at least) copies of the Form 1. I usually make some photocopies and practice typing them out before I put the forms supplied by the ATFe into the typewriter. They should enclose a copy of the instructions of how things are done with their forms. I believe these are also available in a pdf format to print and fill in as well as a format that you can fill in and print out on your computer off the internet. Anybody have that info? If all else fails send me an e-mail; I have some extras I can mail to you.

Best regards, J
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 6:35:15 PM EST
I tried the PDF version and either I wasnt smart enough to make it work or the site was the prob. THere are several links in the NFA FAQ section on the AR side.
Top Top