Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2003 12:31:32 PM EDT
Is there any differance between the SAR1 or the WASR10 (hicap). What are there good and bad points. I am looking to pick up another AK, sold my last AK last year, postban 10 rounder. Looking for a high cap AK. Thanks for any info that can be provided.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 7:25:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Go for the SAR 1. I believe the WASR10 has to have the mag well altered to accept hi caps. Why bother??? just buy the SAR 1 and forget it...
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 9:38:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Although the WASR Hi-cap is a decent shooting gun, pop for the extra $20 or so and get the SAR-1. WASR's have different degrees of mag wobble due to being milled out. You might get a decent one, you might not. I got rid of my WASR and kept my SAR-1...my SAR-1 is an awesome shooter for the money! Plus SAR-1's have the traditional reciever dimples...WASR's don't!
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 9:50:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had no problems with my wasr10 hicap, other than it was having problems accepting some mags.
I simply fixed the problem by doing a bit of dremil work on the mag catch. Took just enough off to make all my mags but one to fit.
Like NRAJOE said, it all depends on how it was milled if you will have mag wobble or not, mine isn't toobad.
As for the sar1  I have not shoot one nor handleed other than at a funshow so I can't speak for them.  The price difference is minimal. But I have heard the sar1 is a better all together rifle in terms of construction and is probably worth the extra $20-40.

And mmsig229 there are 2 versions of the wasr10,
one hicap, one lowcap.  Only the lowcap has to be modified to accept doublestack mags.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 4:05:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Only the SAR1 was initially built for hicap mags. Within normal Romanian QC variation, they are otherwise the same IMO.
Handpick a SAR1 for straight sights, siderail.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 7:46:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info. I am going to go w/ a SAR1. I had a FEG reciver...I think, on my old postban 10 rounder AK. Could I have milled/modified the reciver for highcaps? I think I still have the owners manual will have to check to make sure it was a FEG reciver.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top