Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2004 9:13:35 AM EDT
Does this weapon need US parts count to transfer to civilian?  If so, what US made AK parts will work?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:39:57 PM EDT
[#1]
BTT because I too would like to know what, if any, parts count is needed?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:35:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:00:03 AM EDT
[#3]
ugh, the great mystery of the ages!

from what i understand (and i understand very little), the leo is a no-go for us cuz it lacks american content. if you replced 3 parts you could have a fixed stock with pistol grip but the folding stock is a non-starter as is the 8rounder.

i may be wrong, i HOPE i'm wrong, but that's what i got from the glut of info (often contradicting) from the saiga12 forums...the atf has woven such an intricate labyrinth of nonsensical bullshit, not even the supremes could figure that crap out...

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:29:29 AM EDT
[#4]
It seems that if it had the right amount of US parts it would be Ok to own.

1. US FCG    +3
2. US grip     +1
3. US piston +1
                 _______

=5
I wonder if the standard US parts would work/fit though?                                        
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:02:39 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It seems that if it had the right amount of US parts it would be Ok to own.

1. US FCG    +3
2. US grip     +1
3. US piston +1
                 _______

=5
I wonder if the standard US parts would work/fit though?                                        
www.ak-103.com/images/img_nfa_saiga-1_lg.jpg

with the exception of the piston, yes, they will. even an ak stock will work! with the fcg, though, the hammer on some kits need to be dremeled down on top because it hits the bottom of the bolt.

now, just to muddy, befuddle, and cause more confusion and consternation...apparently, through some arcane ruling, atf has determined that the saiga12 consists of a lower number of parts than the rifle and therefore requires FEWER u.s. parts (i think it was 3). one of theposters at saiga12 posted the actual atf letter.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:20:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm not quite so sure about this.   I asked the thoughts of others on this elsewhere, and didn't get much of a response.    The language in the GCA that restricts imported firearms is pretty much identical to the language that allows a shotgun with a bore over .5" to be a title I firearm - otherwise everything over .5" is a DD.    Both require that it be "particularly suitable for sporting purposes"....

So... it would seem to me that if a shotgun of a particular configuration is not allowed for civilian import because it is not "sporting", then it could be said to become a DD by default, regardless of parts count, since the same criteria is used for both.

And yes, I know that to date, the only SG's determined to be DD's were declared so by name.   However, that does not have to be the case (and in fact, the wording of the law seems to indicate the opposite should occur), and the expiration of the AWB puts us in a place with this that we've never been before.

Thoughts?

Rocko
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:06:35 PM EDT
[#7]
man, no frigging idea! all i know is that some smithies right now are willing to convert the saiga12 to pistol grip/fixed stock and i'm gonna get it done before the atf decides to levy some bullshit law, regulation, executive order, whatever on us CLEARLY making it illegal...
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:27:57 PM EDT
[#8]
yeah, but it's not like your config would be grandfathered in.  it would just be illegal.

i bought 1 a few years ago because i figured atf was gonna stop importing these truly evil weapons any minute.  thank christ i was wrong!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:17:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Only 4 parts needed to mod a  12.  www.saiga-12.com disussion forms...links to the ATF letter there. FCG and grip will get you legal.

take care,
Tec
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top