Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2005 2:05:51 AM EDT
Allright. I think I've about figured out what Im going to do with my Romak.  As I understand it you cannot convert a Romak to accept doublestack mags without milling out the trunion.  Well, I have no access to a mill, nor the skill to handle it with my dremel..

So.. Lets say I remove the front trunion/barrel assembly from the reciever and press out the barrel.  can I reinstall a standard front trunion and reassemble the rifle, or do Romaks use odd sized trunions? (As I understand it MAK 90s use different sized trunions than standard AKs)

feel free to correct me if Im wrong, mistaken, or just plain nuts..
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:51:33 AM EDT
[#1]
If you are careful with a dremmel tool you can open the magwell your self... no need to diassemble
a working gun to change out the trunion..  

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:48:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I've done a Romak conversion, and to do it right with a Dremmel takes a lot of time and you have to be careful.

If it were me, I would pull the trunion and change it out... if you are comfortable with pulling the barrel and installing rivets.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 11:22:41 AM EDT
[#3]
what the hell are you people talking about you dont have to mill the trunnion to make it a double stack
just open the hole and call it a day
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 11:37:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Romak 99 whatever model...is a single stack trunion...gotta chop it up

(BTW, just got the krink kit parts thanks bro!)
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:02:54 PM EDT
[#5]
ahh ive done a signe stack but it had a norm trunnion if i member correct
good to hear about the kit its gonna be kickass when its done i just have way to many projects as it is
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:18:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah socndy, that kit is just sick tiny, WAY smaller than I thought (and I like it). and the fake suppressor is totally cool. I'll post pics when I finish it...need a fsb.

so vault (don't mean to hyjack..), what are you going to do? the reality is it is very cool to transform a single stack by trunion chopping, but if you want to go the easier other way, how good are you with the barrel pull and riveting?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:29:49 PM EDT
[#7]
First thanks for the help guys.

Honestly I have no experience in barrel pressing or riveting, however (and quite fortunately) we've got a build party in my neck of the woods scheduled to take place in a few weeks.  There should be the nessasary equipment and experience aplenty there to help me out.  I just wanted to make sure it could be done before showing up there and looking like a schmuck

Only time will tell if I'll be able do drill out the trunion rivets carefully enough to salvage the reciever and reassemble it, or if I'll muck that up and have to form up a new reciever.  (If i can salvage the original reciever I'll still have to dremel out the magwell opening).

Time will tell, and I'll be sure to let yall know how it turns out. Thanks again..
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top