Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2005 12:48:23 PM EDT
OK so on the topic of that Yugo barrel I have that's shot out.  I discovered something that I find curious, so I figured I'd open it up to the audience and see what thoughts people have.

So the situation is-- The rifling isn't horrible in the barrel but the muzzle does have some serious errosion to it.  A reversed round will go all the way to the casing rather than sitting about halfway down the bullet as it should.

But here's the interesting part.  If you fire Silver Bear ammo through it, it will drop the rounds in a nice tight group @ 25yards.

If you switch to Wolf ammo it opens up to a much larger and sporadic grouping of about 8-12 inches.

Switch back to Silver Bear, nice tight 3 inch or so groupings.

Switch to a different AK and on the whole the Wolf ammo will be slightly more accuarate than the Silver Bear.

So I can't for the life of me figure out why this shot out barrel performs near perfect with Silver Bear and is all over the place with Wolf.  Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:00:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I am no expert on this but I remeber seeing posts elsewhere that sometimes kits with rusty barrels can have the muzzle end of the bore reamed out to remove the rust or pitting.  Perhaps this is what you are seeing?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:31:39 PM EDT
[#2]
With accuracy as poor as 8" at 25 yds, I would guess that the bullets aren't stabilizing due to the bore condition.  But I have no idea why it would only be with Wolf.  Does it look like they are starting to keyhole?

I'm still waiting on my DCI receivers but when I get them I will run some tests.  I have Yugo barrels in every conceivable condition.  Maybe I'll have a better idea then.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:28:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm wondering if perhaps the Silver Bear bullet is just slightly bigger than the wolf.  That's the only think I can think of...  If it were just slightly larger, it might be getting spun up and stabilized on exit better than the Wolf round.

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top