Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2006 12:10:00 PM EDT
OK I recieved my ribbed top covers recently.  I am shocked at how absolutely paper thin they are!!!  my mak90 smooth top cover is like TWICE as thick!!!  does any1 make a thick ribbed top cover?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:25:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I have 3 AKs with ribbed covers and 3 without. All of the ribbed ones seem much thinner than the non-ribbed. That's probably why they ribbed them.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:32:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Chinese, Yugo and milled AKs have a thicker cover.  Most stamped AKs have a thin ribbed cover.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 1:17:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Just threw the digital calipers on a smooth Bulgarian top cover and Romanian AKM ribbed cover.

1. Bulgarian smooth 1.0mm thick

2. Romanian AKM 0.65mm thick

Hootbro

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 3:20:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Remember Y'all  it's "Ribbed for HER pleasure"!
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:12:05 PM EDT
[#5]
its a shame, i like the ribbed look but can't fatham the idea of using a flimsy paper thin cover over the much thicker & sturdier mak90 smooth cover.  besides the matt black finish doesn't match the mak90's blue at all.  and the ribbed covers have a horrendus gap where the bolt carrier comes out (from racking).  good thing I didn't pay too much for them.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:30:12 PM EDT
[#6]
All it is is a dustcover man, it doesn't need to be thick.  Thick is expensive and heavy, neither of which is a good thing from the standpoint of the makers.  Pull the thing off, bumpfire a mag.. It doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:00:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
its a shame, i like the ribbed look but can't fatham the idea of using a flimsy paper thin cover over the much thicker & sturdier mak90 smooth cover.  besides the matt black finish doesn't match the mak90's blue at all.  and the ribbed covers have a horrendus gap where the bolt carrier comes out (from racking).  good thing I didn't pay too much for them.  

when you put bends in steal it makes it stronger.......so you can use thinner receiver cover and have about the same strenth.......also the receiver cover in a very low stress area
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:33:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
All it is is a dustcover man, it doesn't need to be thick.  Thick is expensive and heavy, neither of which is a good thing from the standpoint of the makers.  Pull the thing off, bumpfire a mag.. It doesn't matter.

+1
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top