Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2009 6:41:41 PM EDT
I have a Tantal barrel that has the chrome peeling out of the bore.  It has rough edges and will snag a patch during cleaning.  Does anyone know if the chrome can be removed by reversing the plating process?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:43:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, the chrome can be removed at any plating shop. It's not an expensive job.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:46:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah but who's gonna rechrome it?

Wouldn't it be the equivilant of a century tantal after you strip the chrome?

I'm not being a smartass, I'm just curious.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:35:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I took a Bushmaster Armorer's class a couple weeks ago.  The instructor said a customer once plugged and filled his AR barrel with a ammonia based gun cleaner and let it sit for a couple days.  When he unplugged the barrel out the chromium came.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:01:14 AM EDT
[#4]
All which makes you wonder how the plating was done in the first place...I've seen Japanese Arisaka's that are 60 years old with perfect chrome bores yet.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:38:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have a Tantal barrel that has the chrome peeling out of the bore.  It has rough edges and will snag a patch during cleaning.  Does anyone know if the chrome can be removed by reversing the plating process?

Curious if its peeling out or is the crown catching the patch during cleaning?  Hopefully its just the crown and maybe a recrowning the rifle would work.

I'm assuming the same, if the chrome is removed = less accurate, but maybe no keyholing
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:35:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Wouldn't it be the equivilant of a century tantal after you strip the chrome?

The bore would be oversized. How much oversized depends on the depth of the plating.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:51:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Are you sure it's not snagging at the gas port?

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:14:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I've heard this happen on a lot of polish guns.  I've never seen it personally besides a picture but I wonder why Polish guns have this problem so often?  Other than this I've heard of it happening to two other polish underfolders.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 3:23:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:24:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Reply to all- "Thanks"
The  patches are snagging in the barrel in front of the chamber.  Not the gas port for sure.  I think I'll try the ammonia trick first.  If that doesn't do it I'll take it to a plater. Even if it makes the bore slightly larger, I don't think it will be much worse than it is now.   Hard chrome is thinner than decrative chrome.  I've had some rifles with some pretty worn out barrels that shot relatively ok.  Its not going to be a target rifle by any means.

I agree with the comment on the Polish Tantals.  The guy I got it from said they had received several kits with the same issues.  Bought it about 4 years ago.  This might be a warning for those buying used kits to check for this problem.  Worst case:  get a return policy if the barrels are bad.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 10:04:48 PM EDT
[#11]
couldn't you just shoot it and let the bullet do the work?
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 3:33:54 AM EDT
[#12]
That's true - it will most likely smooth out during firing to the point that it won't snag patches. If it doesn't, then you can try to remove the chrome.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top