Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/24/2005 11:25:33 PM EDT
Last weekend I purchased a WASR-10, it has a thread protector on the muzzle; Do I just take a cresent wrench, tighten and turn? Please prevent me from doing something stupid. Thx!

-ReadMenace
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:21:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/25/2005 12:23:55 AM EDT by mobius]
if it's the no ban WASR-10 then all you need to do is press in on the pin that is located above the nut, and turn it clockwise unscrew it by hand...........if it's one of the post-ban types, it will probably be tack welded on, or silver solder on. if it's tack welded on, you are going to have to CAREFULLY cut the tack weld with a DREMEL, and unscrew it.......turning it clockwise. if it's silver solder on........you are going to have to heat the thing up to some rediculous temp. somewhere like 900 or 1,000 degress and unscrew it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:34:21 AM EDT
Not all WASR10s had threads under the nut. If yours are missing, the barrel diameter should be close to 1/2 inch. The right diameter to thread to 1/2 x 28, which is a common pitch for manny flash hidders.

You can tell roughly by when your WASR10 was made. Mine was a 2001 and it had a tack welded muzzle nut with no threads.

The later noban rifles have the bayonet lug and a regular screwed on brake (not sure what the thread pitch of these). If yours has a lug, then the muzzle nut should just be screwed on. LH threads.

From what I have heard, the preban types with no bayonet lugs and threaded barrels will have a 14 mm x 1 LH threads.

As Mobius stated, be careful when removing the nut.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:58:08 PM EDT
I looked closer this evening and it appears that a turkey has backed up on the bottom side of the thread protector, so I'm guessing this is the tack welding. It's been blued over; I'll see if my brother can take his dremel to it.

Thx guys,

-Read
Top Top