Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2003 6:04:40 PM EDT
Ok, I have a 74 parts kit and a polish folder kit on the way.  I THINK I may try to build them myself.  In any case I cant build or have built either rifle without receivers.  

I need to know what stamped receivers to get - Hesse; cheap, but everything else they make is a POS.  OOW; heat treating may be a problem but that can be overcome from a couple of sources.  B-west that a board member is selling.  Is the Chinese pattern these were made for/in a major problem?

I am not going to go with a milled receiver since I have 2 sam 7's and cant see spending more in parts by the time I get a firing line milled receiver and add the cost of the kits.  So milled is out.

I await your words of wisdom...
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 6:50:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably should go with the OOW.  I have never built on one, have used Hesse.  Recently several Hesse receivers have split on builders here (myself included) so I can no longer recomend them.
 The B-West receivers do not have the correct hole pattern for your kits.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 7:52:10 PM EDT
[#2]
there is nothing wrong with the OOW receivers, the way they are. I had a 74 built on it and fire a shit load of rounds through it, without any signs of the receiver falling apart, or otherwise failing.

I believe this whole heat treatment issue is a much ado about nothing, and a way for some builders or companies to profit on people's "fear" by offering heat treat services.

someone on this board built a post or sample, select fire AKM on that receiver as is, and stated there is nothing wrong with that receiver the way it came from OOW......and I have yet to read one post, that their OOW receiver failed due directly to it not being fully heat treated.....NOT ONE.

so really your concerned about OOW is unfounded, and you're just believing a gun board rumor, that is being spread, with no basis in fact.

until someone can come on and prove without a shadow of doubt that their OOW failed, it's all just speculation, and "fear" generated rumors that are just being spread.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 8:30:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Florida gun works has hungarian FEG recs last I checked.
$235 or so IIRC. Would be great for your non folder. I understand the SN on these is where the folder would go though so it might be an issue depending on which folder you will use.

Global is trying to make a fully treated rec like the bulgarian rec if you can wait a little. How long? Shit if I know. Supposed to already be cranking em out but don't know what the hold up is.

I also agree that the heat treating concern with the OOW rec is overblown but with these other options what the hell. I have an OOW krink from INRANGE coming as we speak. A spare OOW rec in my safe as well.

Another option would be to butcher an SAR or a MAK and sell the parts off. Probably not be too bad off that way. When I talked to the guy at OOW he spoke very highly of the chinese receivers. Said they were "built like a tank". Chinese recs are 1/2 mm thicker to my knowledge and that might be a little more work involved with euro parts.

Hesse=Vulcan=junk
B-West recs that were made in US by Bwest were not heat treated at all and wear out the FCG pin holes. The chinese built recs are good to go to my knowledge.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 4:51:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 5:22:08 AM EDT
[#5]
What about "Krinks" receivers?  Are they worse than Hesse or are they a little bit better.

I found a place in NJ thats selling them dirt cheap.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 5:45:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I heard the Krinks Receivers were a bit soft....may want to stay away from them.

KF
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 6:16:13 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
there is nothing wrong with the OOW receivers, the way they are. I had a 74 built on it and fire a shit load of rounds through it, without any signs of the receiver falling apart, or otherwise failing.

I believe this whole heat treatment issue is a much ado about nothing, and a way for some builders or companies to profit on people's "fear" by offering heat treat services.

someone on this board built a post or sample, select fire AKM on that receiver as is, and stated there is nothing wrong with that receiver the way it came from OOW......and I have yet to read one post, that their OOW receiver failed due directly to it not being fully heat treated.....NOT ONE.

so really your concerned about OOW is unfounded, and you're just believing a gun board rumor, that is being spread, with no basis in fact.

until someone can come on and prove without a shadow of doubt that their OOW failed, it's all just speculation, and "fear" generated rumors that are just being spread.

I can prove that. I have gotten a OOW reciever and the thing is junk. It is a jamming -itch... Mines built with a bulgarian 74 kit .I don't think they heat treated the tab.Either the ejector tab is wearing away, or the reciever is warping . The ejector tab barely gets in the slot of the bolt to eject the round.It was fine until 300 rounds or so. It is thrown in the back on my safe till I can get a good reciever.Been there for at least a year. Im hopeing to get a  FEG or a good heat treated one maybe by Global.Heck the Romanian SAR series reciever seem to be great.Just have to buy a rifle to get one.No more OOW's for me.$79's wasted.I might be only one post on OOW recievers but you can't say you haven't heard of one single post. Im it. WarDawg
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 7:25:57 AM EDT
[#8]
btt, to answer the same question
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 8:31:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Wardawg,

OOW had a bad batch get out with untreated ejector tabs.

Inrange or ORF can re-build you ejector.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 9:21:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Maybe there should be a new sticky with links to where to find receivers?

www.ohioordnanceworks.com ITM/OOW (Ohio Ordnance Works) receivers
www.angelfire.com/ok3/firingline/Prices.html Firing Line (US-made milled receivers)
www.floridagunworks.com Florida Gun Works.  Carries Hesse receivers, pre-ban Polytech receivers, and more.  (didn't see FEG receivers on their page)
www.globaltactical.com Global Tactical/Denny's Guns - has a limited number of B-West US-made ChiCom pattern receivers.  Returning from heat treating soon.

www.ak-103.com AK-USA - provides ITM/OOW receiver heat treating service for $35 per receiver

If anyone has more links, throw them up here...
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 5:04:14 AM EDT
[#11]
if you want to make your own receiver...I don't know how good these are, but it should be some fun reading...
http://www.sgtfreedom.com/bent-metal/

here's another place for do it yourself kits...

http://www.acearms.com/products/ak-47/receiver_blank/index.shtml

Link Posted: 10/13/2003 8:37:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Florida gun works is out as of a few weeks ago.
Krinks suck cosmetically (as do OOW) but they are OK functionally....but they are setup for .30 cal. Wait for good sheet metal....
-C
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 8:59:39 AM EDT
[#13]
I know a bunch of guys that have built on Hesse receivers and none of them have any complaints.  I also know guys who have noting but praise for Krinks.

While Hesse deserves a lot of the bad press he gets here and on other boards, he puts out a decent product from time to time.  In addition to the AK receivers (not the complete guns), the Galil/Hegal receivers work pretty good.  I have sure been enjoying mine.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 10:46:58 AM EDT
[#14]
US MADE GALIL RECEIVERS MILLED
$299.99

http://www.gunsnstuff.net/p/023f.html

hope its useful to someone.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 5:12:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Wardawg,

OOW had a bad batch get out with untreated ejector tabs.

Inrange or ORF can re-build you ejector.

Inrange built it. But its not there fault.I supplied the OOW reciever. I guess I need to contact Troy.Beautiful rifle thats won't work. WD
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 9:18:45 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Florida gun works is out as of a few weeks ago.
Krinks suck cosmetically (as do OOW) but they are OK functionally....but they are setup for .30 cal. Wait for good sheet metal....
-C

OOW has 5.45 receivers.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top