Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2005 3:51:14 PM EDT
I've got a number of AK mags that started showing some service rust.

I took the steel wool to them pretty quickly, and oiled them up, but it's not going to last long in the cold environment they're being stored in.

Unfortunately, I don't have the option of moving them into warmer environs, or heating the area that they're in (too cost prohibitive).

I've seen little ziplock bags for single mags, but I'm wondering if there's a better solution, or larger bags.

For that matter, would oiling everything up, and storing them in ziplock freezer bags be an acceptable solution, or is there a better way?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:06:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Send them to me and I'll keep them warm for you
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:16:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:43:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:12:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Amsoil MP.

Amsoil MP+ for really long term storage. It's like a lightweight cosmolene.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:21:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Hrmm...

Anything, bagwise, bigger?  Even with the Amsoil or Ballistol, is the Ziploc a bad idea?  I've got some rather large freezer bags that I could fit 4-5 mags inside...

The bucket idea sounds good, but I don't really want a bunch of buckets all over the place...
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:24:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Brownells sells Cosmoline...Its alot easier to get the fresh stuff off.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:38:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Oil them up and put them in Food saver bags.
It sucks all the air out, Vacuum packed.

No Oxygen = no rust...

KyARGuy
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:40:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Brownells sells Cosmoline...Its alot easier to get the fresh stuff off.

The only problem with Cosmoline is stripping it when I want to use the mags - ideally, I'm looking for something that'll keep the oil on there without drying out, but that I can grab a rag, sop of the extra, load the mag and go to town, all in the course of a few minutes...

If I were putting these things away for long-term storage, I'd definitely go down the Cosmoline route.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:41:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Just remembered...This is the stuff you want...My dad gave me a can. He had to order by the case from a distributor. Its call Wynn's Viscotene. It sticky, slimy, water and temp resistant. Comes off with solvent when you want it gone...I have sprayed this on my flats and then saran wrapped and it works great.

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:44:43 PM EDT
[#10]
You thought about dessicant in the bags?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:47:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Just remembered...This is the stuff you want...My dad gave me a can. He had to order by the case from a distributor. Its call Wynn's Viscotene. It sticky, slimy, water and temp resistant. Comes off with solvent when you want it gone...I have sprayed this on my flats and then saran wrapped and it works great.

www.wynnsusa.com/images/80608-Viscotene.jpg

Where can you get this stuff from?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:51:35 PM EDT
[#12]
My dad called wynns...they gave him the # of the GA sales rep...I googled it earlier and fould a couple of places mail order.

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:53:28 PM EDT
[#13]
get some eezox.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:58:02 PM EDT
[#14]
The problem with anything gun oriented is that they are usually light oils designed to lubricate. You are looking for something that stays in place and don;t really car about its lubricating qualities if it lasts indefinitely and you can clean it off.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:00:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
My dad called wynns...they gave him the # of the GA sales rep...I googled it earlier and fould a couple of places mail order.

Ill google it. Im looking for something thicker I can spray on instead of having to brush on for long term storage. Thanks
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:06:39 PM EDT
[#16]
I think the primary market for it is marine applications...you may look around there.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:56:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Bull Frog Rust Blocker
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:18:09 PM EDT
[#18]
I think cosmoline is the best for preventating rust

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:06:04 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I think cosmoline is the best for preventating rust

Oh Jesus, I did say preventation, didn't I?  

Sorry, I'm tired, and I've been submitted to way too much stupidity lately.  Prevention, prevention, prevention.

RUST PREVENTION.

Forgive my misunedumacationing.

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:49:04 AM EDT
[#20]
If these are working mags, I'd use a wire brush to get all the rust off, get all the oil off w/ acetone, then hit it with some enamel spray paint.

Repeat as necessary.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:33:55 AM EDT
[#21]
+1 on the Ballistol
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:53:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Both Ballistol and Amsoil MP will wipe off nice when it's time to use the mags. Both are great products with a bunch of uses in the shop. Like WD40, but much longer lasting.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:57:38 AM EDT
[#23]
RIG grease. Wipes off easily. Never had any rust with things stored for years, even tools in the garage.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:07:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Apply Militec -1 and heat with a heat gun or hair dryer.  It's clean and it works.

MILITEC-1 Logo
FIREARMS APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS: SELF-LUBRICATION

CHARACTERISTICS: MILITEC-1 Synthetic Metal Conditioner has the unique ability to create a complex, molecular compound within the surface of heated gunmetal. This causes MILITEC-1 to become part of the metal, not merely a temporary coating or a boundary film. There are two main characteristics of this safe new compound. First, it seals and conditions the metal by stiffening (not hardening) the metal surface. Second, it makes the gunmetal self-lubricating under all environmental conditions.

SELF-LUBRICATION: After a complete application, a MILITEC-1 conditioned firearm is self-lubricating. Self-lubrication gives the firearm's gunmetal the dry lubricity that is required for sustained fire under all environmental conditions. If exposure to dust, sand, or extreme cold is a concern, all excess MILITEC-1 must be wiped away, leaving the firearm's surface metal clean, dry, and constantly lubricated. Please note: Complete corrosion protection and self-lubrication is attained only after both Step One and Step Two (below) are completed.

PREPARATION: To take full advantage of MILITEC-1's unique properties, start with a clean firearm. Although MILITEC-1 contains a mild detergent that will help with subsequent cleaning, there are no solvents or other hazardous materials in MILITEC-1, so it cannot remove old caked-on fouling and build-up from other lubes. Thus, if a firearm is dirty, you must clean it with a solvent before you proceed. Normal fieldstrip cleaning should be perfectly adequate. If possible, remove the handgrips, clean and prepare.

INITIAL TREATMENT: Applying MILITEC-1 to a firearm for the first time is a two-step process: (1) Application and (2) Firing.

STEP ONE: APPLICATION. Now that the firearm is clean and dry, apply a light film of MILITEC-1 to all surfaces, including the bore. Burnish/polish MILITEC-1 into exterior surfaces by rubbing rapidly using a cloth lightly dampened with MILITEC-1. Sparingly apply drops into the action, concentrating on springs, moving parts and metal-to-metal contact areas. If your firearm has a magazine, be sure to apply MILITEC-1 both inside and out. Leave a very light film of MILITEC-1 on all surfaces during reassembly. Now proceed to Step Two.

STEP TWO: FIRING. Once you fire your weapon enough times to reach operating temperatures, the heat and friction will activate MILITEC-1, strengthening the bonding process that was started in Step One. While firing, MILITEC-1 creates a self-lubricating, water-repelling, dry compound within the gunmetal.

Additional Application Instructions: If Step Two is not immediately possible, consider applying low heat to the firearm to facilitate the bonding process until you can perform Step Two. In field conditions, place your lubed firearm in the sun underneath black plastic or a similar ventilated heat source for at least two hours. Alternatively, you may use a heat gun, hairdryer, burnishing or polishing tool to heat the gunmetal. In heat controlled environments, do not exceed 150° F (65° C). In all applications that require heat to condition the firearm, always insure proper ventilation and wear protective clothing. Please consult our MSDS for additional information.

ULTIMATE PROTECTION: To maximize the effects of MILITEC-1, repeat Step One and Step Two while the firearm is still hot from the first firing session. MILITEC-1's impregnated molecular bond intensifies during the next 2-3 applications on hot gunmetal. MILITEC-1 has now become a physical part of the gunmetal.

SUBSEQUENT APPLICATIONS: It is important to continue using MILITEC-1 to lubricate your firearm throughout its normal service life. Consistent use of MILITEC-1 will maintain the self-lubricating effect, maximize corrosion protection, and minimize wear on all friction surfaces. Fouling, deposits and metallic debris do not adhere as easily to gunmetal surfaces conditioned with MILITEC-1. Use a safe, inexpensive cleaner or solvent to detail the firearm, if necessary. For maximum corrosion protection, and especially if long-term storage is anticipated, leave a very light film of MILITEC-1 on all surfaces, after both steps or field application procedures are completed.

APPLICABILITY: MILITEC-1 is recommended for all pistols, shotguns, rifles, automatic weapons,
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:37:17 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I've got a number of AK mags that started showing some service rust.

I took the steel wool to them pretty quickly, and oiled them up, but it's not going to last long in the cold environment they're being stored in.

Unfortunately, I don't have the option of moving them into warmer environs, or heating the area that they're in (too cost prohibitive).

I've seen little ziplock bags for single mags, but I'm wondering if there's a better solution, or larger bags.

For that matter, would oiling everything up, and storing them in ziplock freezer bags be an acceptable solution, or is there a better way?

The rust is showing up most likely because you are not wiping the mags off after use. Use any good oil on a cloth and wipe them down before storing them, and don't touch them with your bare hands afterwards. Storing them in a plastic bag would help.
Any mag or other metal that is not protected with some kind of "semi permanent" preventative like cosmoline or paint requires maintainance every so often. Theres really no substitute for routine maintainance.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:13:59 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Apply Militec -1 and heat with a heat gun or hair dryer.  It's clean and it works.

I'm thinking you work for Militec or are a distributer.  Militec-1 might be a really good lube (and a competitor showed it was decent), but it's horrible for preventing rust.  I unfortunately know this from personal experience.
Ok, not heat from a hair dryer, but the heat from many rounds going through the barrel, and more than once. And the bore still got rusted, even after a frresh application of Militec.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:03:21 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Both Ballistol and Amsoil MP will wipe off nice when it's time to use the mags. Both are great products with a bunch of uses in the shop. Like WD40, but much longer lasting.

Source for Ballistol and/or Amsoil MP?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:27:16 AM EDT
[#28]
I live in a saltwater environment - two blocks away in two directions, and do a lot of gun handling at a friend's cabin on a beach.  Shooting, in and out of boats with rifles, etc.  I have never done or used anything special, just made sure that I cleaned and oiled every surface on the weapon and magazine that night.  Spares are oiled and stored in individual mag bags from TravisAasen.  I've never had problems with rust.  I am sure that there are some great rust preventative products out there, but in my personal experience, timeliness and attention to detail in cleaning and oiling has worked very well.      
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:01:45 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm thinking you work for Militec or are a distributer.  Militec-1 might be a really good lube (and a competitor showed it was decent), but it's horrible for preventing rust.  I unfortunately know this from personal experience.
Ok, not heat from a hair dryer, but the heat from many rounds going through the barrel, and more than once. And the bore still got rusted, even after a frresh application of Militec.

You are not the first person I have heard that from.  The guy across the street was a distributer .
I've read the info, but I am an XD owner and I have always treated my XD's ( which the slide rusts on many people)
and I have had a good luck.  I treated my  SG mags with it when I cleaned them up, we'll see.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:30:53 PM EDT
[#30]
How about refinishing the mags in gunkote, then storing in a VCI bag like:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/product_images/114/23614.jpg

Should be able to fit a couple mags in the 8x14" size bag.  $1.95 @ cheaper than dirt.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:58:22 PM EDT
[#31]
J.H.C.  Give me a break!  Clean the sumofbitchs up, them spray em down with wd40, and wrap em up in newspaper.  End of story.  

ohhh my, you need to go out and buy speical kriptonic anti-rust formula made out of texan cow pie  (western texan only, that the good shit)... bla bla bla.

bunch of pinheads
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:37:44 PM EDT
[#32]
tag
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:07:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:28:00 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
J.H.C.  Give me a break!  Clean the sumofbitchs up, them spray em down with wd40, and wrap em up in newspaper.  End of story.  

ohhh my, you need to go out and buy speical kriptonic anti-rust formula made out of texan cow pie  (western texan only, that the good shit)... bla bla bla.

bunch of pinheads

Mister... Here in the AK Forum we don't make any referance  to saying the Lords name in vain.
If you want to hang out here,  you'll respect that.

Oh yeah, I met your sister.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top