Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2004 10:45:19 AM EDT
 I have a couple of AK's that I want to refinish and I have been using Brownells Allumahyde II semi-gloss black.  I have found it hard to get an even coat on the metal with the thick spray on gun finish.  It also scratches VERY easily.  Looks great for a few weeks then gets scrathed to hell.  Is there a decent and affordable cold bluing product that will make a more durable finish that looks black?  I know somebody has used something that they like.  I have also found that the Allumahyde II is so thick that it covers the markings of the receiver.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:12:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Cold bluing is a waste of time. I've used high-temp engine paint and Allumahyde- both work well. Sorry, it's operator error if marking are covered up. Thin light coats.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:47:56 PM EDT
[#2]
It sounds like you either got a bad can of paint or your not applying it properly. I've done a number of guns and accessories with it, hell, I even did a bicycle with it, and when applied according to the directions, it is pretty tough stuff. My experience with it is it goes on in thin coats, and almost seems too thin at first. I always used two coats and I could always read even the small and lightly stamped, or in the case of Century's wonderful engraving, all their chicken scratch.( I wish then it did go on thick. ) I've actually painted over the Aluma Hyde with model paints for a camo job, and then removed that paint with Gun Scrubber and it didnt even phase the Aluma Hyde. The only scratches I've ever had with it, were due to me being impatient and trying to put the gun back together before it was fully cured the required seven days. If you dont want to paint the gun, I would suggest that you send it out and get it parkerized. Its a great finish, and one of the cheapest too.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:36:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess it is operator error.  I think I am impatient when it comes to the finish.  I always want to put the rifle back together when it feels dry.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:28:57 PM EDT
[#4]
It also helps alot to warm the parts and paint up. It will even out better and you don't need it as thick, again as stated earlier, thin coats. Besides-any paint will scratch, even if it cost $300.

I will be doing mine soon, dropped the kids off today to get slant brakes installed.

As a side note, today was th efirst time that I shot steel hangers with them, that round sure does bang that steel a bit. Alot of fun!

Mark
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top