Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2003 10:35:08 PM EDT
 OK fellas heres what I want to wind up with.

I want to construct an AK-104 clone.

My question to those who may know is.
 If I start with say a Romanian parts kit and buy the Kvar AK-104 FSB/GB, is it possible to get it to work on the Romy barrel.

The Romy barrels have the angled gas port, and I am assuming that the 104 FSB/GB is the 90 degree gas port variety. Is it as simple as redrilling the gas port at 90 degrees or what?

I dont really want to start off with a virgin barrel, but does anyone think that is the easiest route to go? Has anyone done this conversion, and if so how did you do it and what were the results?

Are there any 7.62 parts kits available that use a 90 degree gas block? Got one that you wanna sell?

I am not worried about differences in diameter between the FSB and barrel because I have a fullt equipped machine shop at my disposal to use, and please do not bother me with any comments about legality or US parts, be cause frankly I do not give a shit about any of that nonsense.

Thanx guys
 Chuck
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 3:27:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 1:29:32 PM EDT
[#2]
 Campy,

Thanks for the reply. As far as the machine shop and being able to perform the conversion, that will not be a problem for me as I work at Rapid Fire part time when I am not off railroading.( I'll try to keep mikes sweaty paws off of this one)

What I was basically looking at was to take a Romy kit, or an acceptable substitute and cut the barrel back and do the FSB/GB conversion to get the shorter front end.
 This wouldn't be a true 104 clone, as I would probably use a Krink sidefolder and a Galil forearm on the weapon(more a franken AK than a clone) What the hell, I got nothin else better to do!

Will a 90 degree gas block work on a rifle that was originally set up with an angled gas block?
 My original thought was to block the gas port on the barrel and simply redrill for the 90 degree block, but if it is straight plug and play why bother?

Dont laugh at the franken AK thing either,I just finished with an AMD 65 that has a M249 skeleton stock and a Galil forearm, and it is fair wicked to behold.

Chuck
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 3:53:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 7:25:06 AM EDT
[#4]
any chance i could see a pickture of your AMD setup,

thanks kevin
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 10:24:12 PM EDT
[#5]
 I'll get some pics taken next week and post them on here of a couple of projects and testbeds.

I'll probably just post then in their own thread, and see what people think.

Chuck
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 1:09:43 PM EDT
[#6]
While the Romanian Gas Block is 45 degrees, the tap in the barrel is 90 degrees.

Its the journal diameter you have to worry about.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top