Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2003 6:10:16 AM EDT
About a month or two ago, I ordered and received my Krebs Custom AK-74 gas pistons.

Doing a bit closer examination, and comparing to the pictures on the Krebs site, it looks like the Bulgarian gas pistons more closely match the AK-47/AKM pistons.

The AK-74 pistons in the picture, like the ones I received, don't have the same lip on them that the AK-47/AKM and Bulgarian pistons do.

Has anyone here used these pistons?  Should I see if I can return the AK-74 pistons and exchange them for the AK-47/AKM pistons?
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 9:54:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump.

Don't mean to be annoying or anything, just curious if anyone has ever had this issue.

A couple of people told me that the US gas pistons not measuring the same length as the Bulgarian gas pistons wasn't an issue - that they just "had to be reasonably close".

How accurate is this?
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 5:17:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Kythri, this is what I was told about gas piston Lenghts, from a gunsmith that comes to this site.I asked the same question basicly. He said " as long as the piston( USA) isn't bottoming out in the gas block there isn't a problem with one being longer than lets say a ComBloc piston.Went on to say it will function fine and I will have NO PROBLEMS out of it.Im hoping this is what your looking for.I ordered a piston from Global trades and it was alittle longer than the piston ( Bulgy 74 ) that it was going to replace.Cheers WarDawg
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 7:16:39 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Kythri, this is what I was told about gas piston Lenghts, from a gunsmith that comes to this site.I asked the same question basicly. He said " as long as the piston( USA) isn't bottoming out in the gas block there isn't a problem with one being longer than lets say a ComBloc piston.Went on to say it will function fine and I will have NO PROBLEMS out of it.Im hoping this is what your looking for.I ordered a piston from Global trades and it was alittle longer than the piston ( Bulgy 74 ) that it was going to replace.Cheers WarDawg

And I've just ordered one from Krebs.....so I guess we're gonna see.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 12:55:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Alrighty, cool.

Thanks, both of you.

5subslr5:  Did you order the AK-74 piston, or the closer-visually matching AK-47/AKM piston?

I'm curious if the lip on the Bulgarian piston being non-existant on the Krebs '74 piston will be an issue?
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 8:49:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Alrighty, cool.

Thanks, both of you.

5subslr5:  Did you order the AK-74 piston, or the closer-visually matching AK-47/AKM piston?

I'm curious if the lip on the Bulgarian piston being non-existant on the Krebs '74 piston will be an issue?

Talked to the guy on the phone and asked for the piston needed for an SAR-2.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top