Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2005 12:41:21 PM EDT
Went out to the range today to shoot my AKS-74, after sighting-in the iron sights I mounted my POSP 4x24mm scope. I tried to sight-in the scope but the elevation knob will not go down any further, it is STILL shooting about 10ft above at 50 yds. where I need it to shoot. The scope has the VM mount that fits properly on the rail. The rail was installed by ORF(SEAKII). Anyone know why it would be shooting this high? Is there a way to adjust the point of impact more with the rifle, or is this due to the rail? I doubt the problem is with the rail but I can take pictures of it if no one else can figure out why it would be like this.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 1:08:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 1:26:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Also might want to consider Tantal's site,
http://tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/default.html
I think he has info pages on all the sights he sells. If it turns out that the sight itself is bad, if you purchased it from an authorized dealer I think most carry a one year warranty?
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 1:39:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Was it tight on the rail?  Was it pushed all the way on the rail?

Just looking at the basics first.
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 1:46:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
A) side rail parallel to the bore?

B) use small driver to loosen the top of the elevation knob to 'free up more laps' of knob adj

C) that guy in the optics forum who can't find the ee wants to know how you lost the optics forum

Hahaha I knew one of the moderators would be along to bite me in the ass about this question. The only reason I posted this topic in here is because It gets alot more hits than the optics section, plus I figured this could go under general AK questions....my bad.
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 2:58:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, it was tight on the rail, I was able to adjust it so it was tight. It is also all the way to the front.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 9:30:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a POSP 8x42V mounted on a VEPR-II and I'm having the same problem.  It's so far off it's ridiculous.  I can actually aim the rifle with the iron sights and then switch to the optical sight and tell how far off it is before I even shoot.  I can't hit shit with this damn scope.  I was really hoping there was some way to adjust the mount, but I cann't figure out a way.  The owners manual not being in English doesn't really help either.  

Do I have a defective scope?

POSP 8x42V
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 3:31:21 AM EDT
[#7]
I think I was able to figure it out by doing some on-line research! What you need to do is loosen the two little screws on the top of the turret. Once you have loosened them up you should hold the thin top disc and twist the silver cam part. Once you do this a few times you will notice that it will adjust. Will have detailed pics of the results this weekend....tomorrow or saturday.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 8:49:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 9:01:18 AM EDT
[#9]

Tagged for pictures.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 9:57:23 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have a POSP 8x42V mounted on a VEPR-II and I'm having the same problem.  It's so far off it's ridiculous.

Your scope isn't defective, your rail is crooked. Don't worry, my SAR-2 rail is grossly misaligned and I managed to get it shimmed.

I received my PSOP from Tantal tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/, and he very kindly included instructions on how to shim a PSOP mount. Here it is, verbatim:

...you must remove the four screws on the side that hold the clamp onto the scope body, and the two 7mm hex head bolts that are vertically mounted on the backside. Pull the bottom clamp off of the sight body. You will notice two pressed in pins about 2mm in size, which were installed to keep the sight aligned. You do not want to retain the factory alignment, so just pull them out. Now place the clamp back onto the sight, and tilt it as high as it will go in the direction that will correct your problem. You may want to place a shim under one of the rear hex bolts, then tighten them all up and align the reticle with your iron sights while the rifle sits in a clamp bench vise or other support. This should get you back into alignment. Now, you can either remove each screw one at a time and add LocTite, or redrill the alignment pin holes and reinstall the two small pins, this will retain your scope alignment.

Here is a pic of my shim job:

I used a very small, thin washer as a shim. You can use aluminum shims made from a pop can as well, but I found a washer easier to use , as the hex screw passes through it, and holds it in position during the reassemble phase. The thickness of the shim depends on the amount of adjustment required- It's a trial and error process.

Hope this helps. It's not hard to do, although the small 2mm pins on my bracket were a little stubborn to remove.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 10:04:09 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have a POSP 8x42V mounted on a VEPR-II and I'm having the same problem.  It's so far off it's ridiculous.

Your scope isn't defective, your rail is crooked. Don't worry, my SAR-2 rail is grossly misaligned and I managed to get it shimmed.

I received my PSOP from Tantal tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/, and he very kindly included instructions on how to shim a PSOP mount. Here it is verbatim:

...you must remove the four screws on the side that hold the clamp onto the scope body, and the two 7mm hex head bolts that are vertically mounted on the backside. Pull the bottom clamp off of the sight body. You will notice two pressed in pins about 2mm in size, which were installed to keep the sight aligned. You do not want to retain the factory alignment, so just pull them out. Now place the clamp back onto the sight, and tilt it as high as it will go in the direction that will correct your problem. You may want to place a shim under one of the rear hex bolts, then tighten them all up and align the reticle with your iron sights while the rifle sits in a clamp bench vise or other support. This should get you back into alignment. Now, you can either remove each screw one at a time and add LocTite, or redrill the alignment pin holes and reinstall the two small pins, this will retain your scope alignment.

Here is a pic of my shim job:

www.hunt101.com/img/265009.jpg

I used a very small, thin washer as a shim. You can use aluminum shims made from a pop can as well, but a found a washer easier to use , as the hex nut passes through it, and holds it in position during the reassemble phase. The thickness of the shim depends on the amount of adjustment required- It's a trial and error process.

Hope this helps. It's not hard to do, although the small 2mm pins on my bracket were a little stubborn to remove.

This is a good solution but try loosening the screws first, if that doesnt work then do this.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 10:16:58 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

This is a good solution but try loosening the screws first, if that doesnt work then do this.

Oh, yes, absolutely. This is for a grossly misaligned scope, or for those who want to have their aiming chevron centered in the middle.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top