Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/14/2003 11:34:26 AM EDT
I have a post-ban MAK-90 (I think I bought it in 1994) that I was thinking about selling. I've put maybe 100 rounds through it.

The reason is that I was interested in one of the Romanian SAR's with the thumbhole stock instead of the thumbhole stock on mine.

Two questions:
1) What's an MAK90 (it's in great shape) worth ?
2) Romanian SAR's are selling for about $300 in SGN. Is there any reason I should keep the MAK instead ?

I was thinking of taking mine to the gun show this weekend or to a local store to see.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 11:49:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Ooops. I meant "I'm interested in the Romanian SAR's with the PISTOL GRIP stock instead of the thumbhole stock on mine."

Also - I've read about the conversion kits, but I don't know if it's worth it if the MAK90 is worth about the same as a rifle already finished the way I like it.

Anyone done a conversion of their MAK, what did it cost, and how difficult is it ?

Thanks again....
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 11:56:05 AM EDT
[#2]
stop--- don't do it........you say you only shot 100 rounds...answer that question first. Now why would you buy another ak, if you ain't going to shoot it? Now as far as the conversion....keep the Mak.....better trigger and better overall mechanics. Put a choate dragunov stock on it and shoot the thing. If you are not going to shoot it then sell it and get parts for your ar........bad Idea, but you will make someone happy.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 12:35:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Now as far as the conversion....keep the Mak.....better trigger and better overall mechanics. Put a choate dragunov stock on it and shoot the thing.

Then it would be just like mine.  Only mine's never been out of the box.  Do people actually shoot those things?
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 12:46:41 PM EDT
[#4]
My girlfriend and myself shoot the heel out of ours......Ilikelegs has most likely shot 10 k through his......bung and Lt possibly 10k between them...yes some people shoot them
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 7:42:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a choate thumbhole stock for sale on the equip exchange. Probably the toughest stock out there for a MAK and installs in the MAK very easily. The chicom AKs do have a nice trigger.

However, if you want the SAR, they are nice also.

I have done the "conversion" on 2 MAK-90s and it is a little tough as the dimensions are a little different than the euro's. Doable of course but you'll need a dremel and a lot of patience to do it right.  Mine are nice, though.

Both have a gordontech FCG now and one has a KVAR US buttstock, PG, with a US Bulgy style lower handguard and a steel vented upper handguard.
The other has a Bulgy (shorter) buttstock, US PG, and US handguard set. All of the stock parts took some modifications and fitting, incl the vented steel upper handguard which I just did this past weekend.

I'm not nuts about the gordontech trigger but alot of people like it. It's a single stage trigger with too much take up for me. I tried to install the RSA FCG but the selector didn't fit right with it and I didn't have the dremel then. YMMV.

I put the RSA FCG in my SAR-1 and it is awesome. I may still put that trigger group in my MAK's.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 9:25:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Check your mail
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top