Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2005 1:13:35 PM EDT
As promised in a thread long, long ago, I am posting my legally converted thumbhole MAKs to a more proper EVIL config:

The top one is a stamped receiver set by Iron Wood Designs.  The bottom is a K-Var set on a milled receiver MAK.

Ok, some notes here on the stock sets:

Iron Wood Designs:
- Significant fitting may be required
- Be prepared to sand and finish the piece yourself (for me, that was half the fun)
- Very sturdy and looks nice
- you may have to mill the nut that holds the stock in the receiver on milled MAKs.  On mine, it is hard to field strip with the nut installed.

K-Var set:
- Some fitting may be required
- Very sturdy when installed
- Has hole for SKS style cleaning kit

It took a few hours of fitting each with basic hand tools to get the stocks on.  I finished the Iron Wood set on the Milled MAK with Walnut Stain (2 coats) and then finished with my special secret Tung oil formula (ok, half anf half real tung oil and mineral oil; not a real big secret).

I used a Tapco trigger set on each to get to six Us parts.  I am taking them out to play in a few minutes and will report if I have any issues.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:51:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Follow-up:

Both MAKs shot and functioned just fine at the range.  Both shoot minute-of-looter at 100 yards, about as good as expected.  The problem with the nut on the milled MAK has gone away.  The bolt carrier seems to have bumped the nut just enough to fix the interference issue.

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top