Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/5/2005 10:58:42 AM EDT
I have a chance to buy a large quanity of Norinco steel core 7.62x39 at  $4.00 per 20 rounds.Is this a great deal?I already have 300 rounds of the same stuff and I know its hard to come by now.This guy has 2 cases of it and will sell by the case for an unknown amount or in 20round boxes.Is 20 rounds for $4.00 a deal?
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 11:13:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Thats .20 cents a round,I've seen it go alot higher.Check the headstamp and be sure its steel core,1966 is but some of the 1992 is not.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 12:12:08 PM EDT
[#2]
This is the stuff in the baby blue,(kind of teal)boxes of 20 sitting bullet point down in a styrofoam insert.The box says it is steel core and steel cased.
Does anyone know which headstamps were steelcore for sure?I just want to make sure this guy is'nt doing the gunshow technique of putting the Yugo brass in the Norinco boxes!I have seen this happen to different people on more than one occassion.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 12:16:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Most of the steel core I remember,came in the sealed tins and wrapped with brown paper.I don't remember "steel core" ammo comming in the commercial boxes.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 12:36:49 PM EDT
[#4]
See that is what is worrying me,I did a search on yahoo and it led me to an AR15.com link that showed pictures of what I found for sale.I guess the steelcore came in commercialy in limited quanity before it was banned.I have found commercial steelcore came in in yellow,silver and these light blue boxes that I found for sale.There are some good pictures of steelcore 7.62x39 and the different boxes it came in somewhere on this site but I cant seem to find them when I search AR15.com.
I am trying to figure out if what is in the box is actually steelcore or if  someone changed the steelcore out for typical lead core ammo.I am buying this for the collectible value and I dont want to wind up with the wrong stuff.
Anyone know where I can find headstamp info for Norinco?
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 1:22:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

mywebpages.comcast.net/jfreeman246/ak_rifle_ammo.htm
His site has alot of info on Chinese ammo.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 7:55:07 PM EDT
[#6]
READ the website above! It has a lot of good information.

Quoted:
See that is what is worrying me,I did a search on yahoo and it led me to an AR15.com link that showed pictures of what I found for sale.I guess the steelcore came in commercialy in limited quanity before it was banned.I have found commercial steelcore came in in yellow,silver and these light blue boxes that I found for sale.There are some good pictures of steelcore 7.62x39 and the different boxes it came in somewhere on this site but I cant seem to find them when I search AR15.com.
I am trying to figure out if what is in the box is actually steelcore or if  someone changed the steelcore out for typical lead core ammo.I am buying this for the collectible value and I dont want to wind up with the wrong stuff.

Steel "Core" never came packaged in boxes.......always in a tin and wrapped in brown paper. The ammo that came in the 20 round boxes is Steel "Cased". Which is completely different.

Accountant
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 8:38:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Steel "Core" never came packaged in boxes.......always in a tin and wrapped in brown paper. The ammo that came in the 20 round boxes is Steel "Cased". Which is completely different.

Accountant

Oh, yeah?

Link Posted: 12/5/2005 8:39:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
This is the stuff in the baby blue,(kind of teal)boxes of 20 sitting bullet point down in a styrofoam insert.The box says it is steel core and steel cased.
Does anyone know which headstamps were steelcore for sure?I just want to make sure this guy is'nt doing the gunshow technique of putting the Yugo brass in the Norinco boxes!I have seen this happen to different people on more than one occassion.

If it's brass cased it isn't Chinese. All steel core Chinese ammo I've ever seen (and that's a lot) was copper washed steel cased  with a red sealant around the case mouth. Steel core ammo has a boat tailed bullet and the core is exposed.  Select a cartridge at random,  pull the bullet and scratch the exposed core.That will tell you if it's steel core.  The magnet test won't work because the bullet jacket is steel as well. I wouldn't sell my steel core  for $.20 each.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 11:40:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Accountant

Oh, yeah?

tinypic.com/i6z5hu.jpg

Ahh yes... good ol yellow box flamethrower stuff. I got a shit load of that stuff laying around here. I also got a few cases of the stuff on strippers wrapped in brown paper, sealed in a tin two to the case.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 3:46:10 AM EDT
[#10]
The ammo I am looking to buy for $4.00 per 20 rounds is in a similar box.It has the same description as the yellow box above,but the box is a really light bluish green.The headstamps on the ammo in one of the boxes is factory code"61" and date code "92" so I guess it is actually Norinco steelcore.I bought 300 rounds last night.I am going to pull 1 0r 2 random rounds and pull the bullets and check before I go back to buy the case of 1200.
Anyone in the Cincinnati,Ohio area that may be interested in buying some of this,I can tell you where it is at.(The guy will not ship,he is a local dealer)
Also is this stuff considered AP,because he is trying to get rid of it quick!
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 5:00:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Bring a magnet with you . Pretty easy to tell if its steel core .
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 5:18:32 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Bring a magnet with you . Pretty easy to tell if its steel core .

Magnet will NOT work. The lead core bullets have steel jackets and are magnetic too.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 5:30:59 AM EDT
[#13]
I've got one of those yellow boxes of Norinco, too.

But what's the big deal with steel core? Is it AP? Mild steel core is not AP, but rather just a cheaper to manufacture alternative to lead core ball. Regular Uly is steel core. Cut the bullet in half, pull the core out, and magnet test.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 5:51:40 AM EDT
[#14]
I just want the steelcore because it is banned and will probaly never be imported again.From what I can gather here at AR15.com the price of $4 for a box of 20 rounds is a pretty good price.I am one of those people that cannot pass a deal on something,besides maybe some day down the road I can make a huge profit off of it!
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 6:11:22 AM EDT
[#15]
There is literally a bloody shit load of this stuff still floating around. It isnt anyway near AP stuff. If sheepole are willing to pay $4.00 a box for it. By all means
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 6:44:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Here is what  I am thinking ,buy it all up by the case and stash it,later down the road,sell it off for twice what I paid for it.(or more,its already selling at $8 for 20 rnds on Gunbroker!)
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 4:33:39 PM EDT
[#17]
There is no way in hell I would spend 8.00 a box for that. Its nice stuff but is still so prevalant I run accross it at least once every two week and just bought some at .10 a round.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 1:48:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Most of the yellow box Norinco is steel core.  Generally when I hit the gun shows I take a magnet.  But really what is the big deal with steel core (mild)
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 11:18:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Accountant

Oh, yeah?

tinypic.com/i6z5hu.jpg

Ahh yes... good ol yellow box flamethrower stuff. I got a shit load of that stuff laying around here. I also got a few cases of the stuff on strippers wrapped in brown paper, sealed in a tin two to the case.

I have a couple unopened tins as well as a case or two of other Chinese ammo stashed away. I've always considered it just shooter grade ammo and nothing special. I think much of it's the mild steel core. Main reason I've kept it was because it's no longer imported and there still alot of people that kept a supply stashed.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 4:02:29 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Most of the yellow box Norinco is steel core.  Generally when I hit the gun shows I take a magnet.  But really what is the big deal with steel core (mild)

How do you tell steel core bullets with a magnet? All the steel core I've ever seen had a steel jacket as well.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 8:13:23 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Accountant

Oh, yeah?

tinypic.com/i6z5hu.jpg

Well shit! Learn something new everyday.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:10:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Over Christmas, my wife and I visited my family in Ohio.  One of my projects was to ship some of my ammo stash I had in the basement back to Oregon where I can shoot it.  I couldn't really remember what I had but was glad when I looked-

I've got a bunch of green/teal/blue colored boxes of that steel core stuff.

Also, 3 unopened cases of chinese ammo.  Each case has 2 cans.  There's 1440 rounds in each case.  

Is the cased ammo steel core?  What's it worth?  It's costing me $65/case to ship from OH to OR but it's doing me zero good sitting in my parents' basement.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:25:15 AM EDT
[#23]
If I were you I would sell it and buy russian ammo...People pay a premium for anything they can't get. I'd take 2000 rnds of lead core over 1000 of steelcore any day.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:40:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Chinese leadcore bullet stuck to magnet.

Hey Eyegun...If you want to sell a case of that ammo let me know i'm in Ohio and would meet for a FTF purchase.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:49:45 AM EDT
[#25]
See if you can peel a little of that jacket off and if it will stick to the magnet.

I'm not calling the Chinese liars yet, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the jackets might be magnetic.

ps AKA tom email sent.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:54:17 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

mywebpages.comcast.net/jfreeman246/ak_rifle_ammo.htm
His site has alot of info on Chinese ammo.

Great site.  The owner is a member here, "JA545".
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top