Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2005 4:45:27 PM EDT
I picked up a Polytech AK at the gun show a few weeks ago. It is in new condition, VG barrel with no pitting or anything, pre-922(r) and thus has the spike bayonet/wood pistol grip/threaded muzzle with nut. The amazing thing is that I paid $695 OTD for the gun, with one Chinese mag in wrap, and another unmarked mag. This gun is amazing, mainly because I have been unable to find one for less than $1,400 and even then the cheap ones show use. This one has a ding in the pistol grip... end of story. I feel very lucky to have found this, but now have some questions..

I found an AK "birdcage" flashider with 22mm groves... you know, the kind that can handle that grenade adapter. However, as you know, the Polytech does NOT have a gas shutoff valve. Is it safe to launch dummy grenades on the adapter on my AK, assuming I use Barnaul blanks? I am not looking to launch something hundreds of yards, just a good 100 or so.

Second, what is this REALLY worth? All numbers match, barrel is excellent, blueing is 99%+ and it has the buttstock cleaning kit, sling, cleaning rod, original bayonet and it is pre 1989.

Thank you in advance for any help,
Sincerely,
Q-gunner2
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:48:02 PM EDT
[#1]
i would say no to the grenade launching with out the gas cut off, i imagine it would blow your gun up.  sorta like an obstructed barrel would. not sure let us know how it goes.........
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:52:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Not looking to start trouble, just curious. I know that AR-15 rifles can launch these dummy grenades off of their flash hider without issue, and they have no gas shut off, so I wondered what would happen to an AK. One friend told me the gas shut off was only to provide more pressure to the grenade, to launch it farther and faster. Another friend said it was to prevent the gas system from getting a pressure overload and unlocking prematurely.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:25:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:13:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Why would it ruin the value? I was adding a M-16 style flash hider on it. The barrel is threaded, it is a matter of 30 seconds of time to take off the flash hider and put the muzzle nut back on. I will not change the parts/stock or any of that though, I collect Mosin Nagants and thus understand the consequences of "Bubbahing" a good gun (and recently put an original Hungarian stock on my Hungarian M-44 that had been sanded by its previous owner).

I like this AK because of the cool spike bayonet (goes well with my SKSs... er, SKS) and because it is pre-922(r) so I can't get in trouble for parts. I love the original wood pistol grip too...
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:08:11 AM EDT
[#5]
You can get into trouble launching grenades from an AK without the gas shut of because of the pressure exerted on the reciever rivets.You won't notice any problems with just a few times but repeated grenade launching can result in the action hammering out the trunnions.You may also blow the top cover off of the rifle,the Yugo's and the Polish AKs designed to launch grenades have a means of locking the take down button so it cannot bounce and release the top cover.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:44:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:48:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I already checked, it does not have the 3rd hole, so it is legal. It is a Polytech, marked "Poly Tech, Beijing China" and was imported through Georgia I think. Pre 1989, folding spike bayo, threaded muzzle, wood pistol grip, Chinese reciever, beautiful baby. All parts are original.

I guess no grenades for this gun. What about launching golf balls? www.bloomautomatic.com has an adapter that goes on the 22mm threads, it allows you to launch golf balls and it does not have a tight seal between the golf ball barrel and ball so it does not generate too much pressure. Would that be safe?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:45:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Golf balls would be fun,the only other problem is your muzzle is threaded 14/1 LH,the only 22mm threads are on a threaded Romanian 74 FSB.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:39:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Huh?

What about the birdcage flash hiders that are direct copies of the M-16 style, the ones with the 22mm grooves...

Wait a second, sorry, I think I understand... the flash hider IS threaded to 14/1 LH, but it has GROOVES that are 22mm... you know, 22mm, like the Yugo SKS grenade launcher or the M-16 flash hider.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:56:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm with you.22mm OD.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:52:34 PM EDT
[#11]
if it was imported to georgia it was probably KFS. i have the same rifle made in '85.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:10:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Q-Gunner-2, you have a Keng's Firearms Imported Polytech AKS 7.62 on your hands to be a little more specific.  Keng's imported like 99.9% of the polytech AK's with the underfolding spike bayonet on them. The model number of these guns are AKS 7.62(there were also some in 223 caliber and are model number AKS .223). These are getting harder and harder to come by and are honestly pretty rare(not that many where imported).  

an honest value would be the following:

new in box /w all original accessories: around $1,300.00 - $1,400.00

like new in box /w all original accessories: around $900.00-$1,000.00

in the condition as your's(i am assuming you don't have the box nor the original accesories), i would say a fair price would be between $750.00-$900.00

for the price you stated that you picked it up for, you did indeed get one hell of a good deal, in my opinion

also, everyone of these came with a simple muzzle nut screwed onto the barrel, no slant brake or any other kind of muzzle attachment(just in case you want to leave it in the original configuration)

hope this helps

camaro
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:40:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I have all of the accsessories (sling, cleaning kit, cleaning rod, the 2 30 round mags with one still in the wrap). Also, I have the original muzzle nut. The flash hider will look cool and let me launch golf balls. In 30 seconds or less I can put the muzzle nut back on it and it is original. That is my plan, anyway. Thank you VERY much for the help Camaro!

I do not have the box, sadly. But the gun did come with a nifty padded leather case, one of those high dollar $30 ones. Even better, the case outside showed age but inside was near perfect- no thick powder residue or oil stains. So this means the case had been the guys for awhile, but the AK didn't get out much. By looking at the gas piston and gun overall, I know it was not cleaned since the guy had it (original military oil was on parts of the bolt and gas assembly). There was a little bit of carbon residue, by the fact that the piston was so nice and the barrel has such sharp rifling (and the fact he only opened one mag and had no others for sale or with the gun) I bet he fired only 30 or so rounds and then set it aside. He himself said that he hadn't shot it much and by the look of the gun I believe him.

Anyway... so I did well? Excellent. But this gun will be my AK- I am a spike bayonet kinda guy, and this thing is in such great condition I know I can shoot it some (it isnt NIB so no reason not to). I do not shoot thousands and thousands, I stockpile and shoot here and there.

One last thing- I know this is a Kalashnikov Vintovka but are there any parts that wear out or go bad more often than others? If so I want to have some spares, these guns are no longer imported so I want to make sure I baby this gun to the max.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:46:00 AM EDT
[#14]
you shouldnt ever need a replacement part but if so or just to be safe.
polytech parts
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:25:39 PM EDT
[#15]
You should post some pictures...  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:09:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Did you get that a t the big gunshow in Richmond right after Thanks Giving, If you did I almost bought it myself but the guy for some reason could not take a credit card or he had to wait for his buddy to come back in an hour or some horseshit like that.

So me not having the cash had to pass it up, I already have one of these rifles but was willing to pick up a second one up at that price.

You got a great deal on a great rifle you should be proud.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:27:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Wow! Yes, it was the C&E show at Richmond. The guy was an individual seller, he had no equipment to take credit cards BUT he has a TV and electronics repair shop in Richmond. To use a CC you would have to wait for his brother to go to the shop and operate the register. I did just that, because I obsess over rareish guns and ESPECIALLY ones with spikes. It came with the mag in the gun, another Chinese one NIW and a fancy padded leather case. Let me tell you, once I used some oil on that baby it looked new (and still does).

When I test shot it at 50 yards it hit dead on (rear sight on 100) which is unusual for an AK or SKS rifle (they usually shoot high), but who cares, I shot Wolf standing with no rest and got about a 2" group. Keep in mind I did this standing. I will give a real report when I get back from a range that consists of more than an Airsoft gun target taped to an oak tree.
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top