Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2002 9:51:48 AM EDT
I'm looking to buy an Ak. What would be the best one to get? I was looking at the one made buy Robinsons.Little help?
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 9:53:10 AM EDT
[#1]
One more thing it must be 7.62
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 4:54:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome to the site Mike, and the world of AK's.

There are alot of different AK variants out there, some great, some outstanding, and some really crappy ones.

The VEPR II from RobArms is a great rifle, not really authentic to the AK tradition, but very well made and accurate.  If authenticity is not important to you, the VEPR II is an excellent choice.

I am a well known advocate of the Arsenal Inc. rifles from Las Vegas.  They are built by Bulgarians here in the US, and I personally feel that the quality is unsurpassed on an over the counter production piece.  http://www.arsenalinc.com/index1.html

Also, if you have the money, you might want to consider the Krebs or AKUSA rifles.

Another thing to consider are some pre-ban rifles from China, Hungary, Egypt, and Yugoslavia.

Take some time and surf some of the posts here and you'll find a wealth of info.  If you have specific questions, feel free to post or instant message someone.  

Hope that helps!
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 5:06:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Templar has some great suggestions, but to me, if you are just looking for an entry level AK, you can't go wrong with an SAR-1.  Cheap simple, reliable.  Not the prettiest or best built, but they work well.

It will aslo give you a great project gun to upgrade when you decide it isn't "cool enough" later on.
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 9:17:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I've heard great things about the vepr k.
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 9:35:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Unless you can find a Hungarian SA-85M (Gun's America.com) you might check out the new FEG (SA-85M copies) made by Global Trades sold at gunshows, IMHO they are very good AKs, (at least the SA-85M I have is one fine AK).

Mike
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 10:10:43 AM EDT
[#6]
If you get an SAR make sure the sights and gas tube line up. This is the most frequent problem. Most other problems are easy enough to remedy--you can always refinish or replace stock, fix trigger slap or replace FCG, etc.

Don't have one but if I were going to purchase a postban now it would be from Arsenal in Las Vegas as Templar recommends. Prebans are not all that expensive if you keep your eye out.

Happy to have you aboard.
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 10:30:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 10:46:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Try this:

www.ak-103.com

It costs about the same as a VEPR, but you get a close as possible AK-103 in 7.62x39mm. It weighs under 7 lbs, and matches the VEPR in any other respect for all practical purposes. There's no need to lug around a 9 lb rifle.

IF you want a basic rifle, go for a SAR-1. I bought a SAR-2 as my first AK (5.45x39 mm). It's a good place to start as Campy says, and it is a far cheaper way to get into the game of AKs.

themao

Got ice picks?
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 11:02:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Warning: somewhat contrary opinion follows.

I have a SAR-1, and I wish I'd just gone out and bought a high quality AK like the VEPR first time around.  If you get a decent SAR-1, you'll probably end-up getting a new stock ($100) and the RSA trigger group ($75) and maybe a refinish ($100).  In the end, you're far better off getting the VEPR or Arsenal.  I've got so much "invested" in my SAR-1 I can't sell it without taking a beating!
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 11:15:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Have you read a little on the ak-47.net info site? www.ak-47.net/ak47/index.html

I got a Romanian MKII last year for $400.  A little pricey, but still reasonable.
www.ak-47.net/ak47/mk11.html

I got a new Bulgarian SLR-95MB for $330 several years ago.
www.ak-47.net/ak47/slr95.html

SAR-1 info www.ak-47.net/ak47/sar-1.html

Read the others and you'll know a bit more.
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 5:13:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Warning: somewhat contrary opinion follows.

I have a SAR-1, and I wish I'd just gone out and bought a high quality AK like the VEPR first time around.  If you get a decent SAR-1, you'll probably end-up getting a new stock ($100) and the RSA trigger group ($75) and maybe a refinish ($100).  In the end, you're far better off getting the VEPR or Arsenal.  I've got so much "invested" in my SAR-1 I can't sell it without taking a beating!

Hell, I have a lot of fun tinkering with the damn thing and I've learned a bunch. Like Nike says: Just buy it!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top