Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2005 5:02:34 PM EDT
Well guys...... I ordered a WASR-3 223 caliber rifle from AIM Surplus about 3 weeks ago. I received a rather nice looking rifle about the same quality as the GP WASR-10 rifles. Unfortunately it would not work. The mag release lever had been filed down too much so that the rifle would not chamber a round. The bolt would just ride over the bullet. When a bullet was placed in the chamber and the bolt carrier handle was pulled back to extract the bullet it would not extract it. Seemed like it was stuck. I had to step on the bolt handle to get the rifle to extract the bullet.  Well...... AIM Surplus said to ship it back and they would hand pick me one and ship it back to me. So today the replacement arrived. The mag locked in place and the bullets fed and extracted just fine. Unfortunately the receiver cover was not formed right so that the bolt carrier was dragging against the cover and was scratching the finish off the bolt carrier. The safety lever also would not go totally into position. The receiver cover was not allowing the safety to go into position. The replacement/handpicked rifle also was badly scratched with  many pieces of badly milled metal sticking up all over the place. Not nearly as nice as the first rifle. The trap door in the buttstock for the cleaning kit was also missing. The laminated buttstock also did not match the handguards ( I can refinish them). So I am very disappointed. AIM did not offer to pay me for shipping the first rifle back that would not function and now the handpicked rifle is even uglier than the first. It will however shoot ( better than the first). So......my cheap 223 rifle is getting very expensive. I paid $400 for the first rifle. Paid $12 to ship it back. Paid another $25 to pay transfer fee for second rifle and I still have a lemon. I really don't mind the rough finish. I can fix that.......but to send a hand picked rifle in that poor of a condition !!! What should I do ??? I am getting a little mad about this. Just wanted a cheap 223 rifle which I did not mind refinishing stock....... but this is much worse than any SAR or any other Romanian rifle I have ever seen. Thanks......Mike
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:15:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Send them a letter saying what you have here. This is unacceptable and they ought to see that quickly. Hopefully you will get someone's attention with a polite but honest appraisal of how they have handled the situation. In my opinion they not only owe you a different, properly "hand picked" rifle, but they should credit your cost of transfers and shipping towards the purchase of the rifle itself or as a store credit for ammo.

Good luck and please let us know how you and they handle the situation. Hopefully they will come through.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:21:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I ordered a WASR3 from AIM Surplus...it arrived in excellent condition. Paid $329.00. You didnt mention they come with a Tapco G2 FCG????? The parkerizing is much better tha previous models. It ejects and picks up the next round fine. Ejects the damn shell about 10 yards away. Im very happy with mine. I put different front handguard wood and a Romanian side folding stock. Its a hell of deal for the money.
Send the other one back...still cheaper than any thing else....if you want a Chinese preban .223 I'll sell you one for $800.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:08:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes.......This rifle did come with a Tapco G-2 FCG. Unfortunately my handpick rifle is not as nice as yours. I also had to file on the side mount scope bracket for a half hour to get my side mount scope on the rifle. I have a badly torn hamstring now , so this has been quite an ordeal. I will call AIM Surplus tomorrow and try to talk to a manager. I have already bought WEIGER mags for it from IO so would like to get a decent rifle that will work.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:21:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I think if you talk to someone who understands you can get another gun...Id make them throw in a bunch more mags for your trouble and fees.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:23:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I now have a WASR 2 from Classic Arms yet to shoot it though.  Wood was far less quality than the SAR1 I have but wood is not important to me.  It will be replaced with plastic in short order.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:17:16 AM EDT
[#6]
For those that can't read without paragraphs

Quoted:
Well guys...... I ordered a WASR-3 223 caliber rifle from AIM Surplus about 3 weeks ago. I received a rather nice looking rifle about the same quality as the GP WASR-10 rifles. Unfortunately it would not work.

The mag release lever had been filed down too much so that the rifle would not chamber a round. The bolt would just ride over the bullet. When a bullet was placed in the chamber and the bolt carrier handle was pulled back to extract the bullet it would not extract it. Seemed like it was stuck. I had to step on the bolt handle to get the rifle to extract the bullet.

Well...... AIM Surplus said to ship it back and they would hand pick me one and ship it back to me. So today the replacement arrived. The mag locked in place and the bullets fed and extracted just fine. Unfortunately the receiver cover was not formed right so that the bolt carrier was dragging against the cover and was scratching the finish off the bolt carrier. The safety lever also would not go totally into position. The receiver cover was not allowing the safety to go into position.

The replacement/handpicked rifle also was badly scratched with  many pieces of badly milled metal sticking up all over the place. Not nearly as nice as the first rifle. The trap door in the buttstock for the cleaning kit was also missing. The laminated buttstock also did not match the handguards ( I can refinish them). So I am very disappointed. AIM did not offer to pay me for shipping the first rifle back that would not function and now the handpicked rifle is even uglier than the first. It will however shoot ( better than the first).

So......my cheap 223 rifle is getting very expensive. I paid $400 for the first rifle. Paid $12 to ship it back. Paid another $25 to pay transfer fee for second rifle and I still have a lemon. I really don't mind the rough finish. I can fix that.......but to send a hand picked rifle in that poor of a condition !!! What should I do ??? I am getting a little mad about this. Just wanted a cheap 223 rifle which I did not mind refinishing stock....... but this is much worse than any SAR or any other Romanian rifle I have ever seen. Thanks......Mike

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 12:07:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I phoned AIM and worked things out. I highly suggest that anyone buying these rifles have a guarantee that a bad rifle can be returned  or only buy one if you can inspect it before buying it. I was able to shoot a few rounds thru the WASR-3. I had some Wolf 55 grain hollowpoints. 10 rounds fired without any failures to feed or extract. I fired 2 shots at about 30 yards and the two bullets impacted within 1/4 inch of each other with open sights. I have an injury that keeps me from doing anymore shooting now. The G-2 FCG is nice. The rifle has the 90 degree gas block like the Sar-3. I think it is a decent rifle and may buy another.  Thanks for the advice..... I will post a photo as soon as I can.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top