FEDEX will take up the slack for em...
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:15:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I ship all mine via USPS priority mail.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:40:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
FEDEX will take up the slack for em...

Yep, I've gone over to the big X! UPS sucks!!! I've had them turn me away when they found out that I was shipping a rifle. I had to insure it and the clerk asked me what it was. I told him that it was a HAKIM. He looked at me like I'd said it was a lefthanded binnswanger, you know... that look of a puzzled moron. So long story short... FedEx has GREAT rates for ground shipping and their Ground is twice as fast as UPS. I've found that FedEx Ground is only a day or two slower than Air.

I have also read threads in the past about full-autos "lost" by UPS. The owner of one such weapon spent months going around and round with UPS over the insurance. Not like UPS can go out and find him another NFA weapon to replace his loss. So yes, let me say it again...UPS SUX!!!  
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:39:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Hmmmm Damn I just sent my RPK kit and reciever off by big brown. The guy that ran the store asked me if it was a gun and I told him "no its just gun parts". A lie and the truth wrapped in one I guess. Better call Coyote Gulch and make sure it got there.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:46:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Prepaid labels are the way to go.....

YEP!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:45:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:19:10 PM EDT
[#8]
+1

Quoted:
I just teel them it is machine parts. It is...the just happen to be assembled in the form of a rifle. F'em if they don't want my business FedEx does!

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:32:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I just teel them it is machine parts. It is...the just happen to be assembled in the form of a rifle. F'em if they don't want my business FedEx does!

IIRC Federal Firearms laws state that you must dislose to the carrier, that the box contains firearms.. This could bite you someday???

BTW.. UPS Blows, come on DHL!! WooHoo..
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:30:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:33:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:49:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IIRC Federal Firearms laws state that you must dislose to the carrier, that the box contains firearms.. This could bite you someday???

BTW.. UPS Blows, come on DHL!! WooHoo..

I think competition is a wonderful thing but I don't think supporting a foreign gov't to acheive it is.  If you've forgotten Germany was one of the unwilling.

Opposition to DHL Airborne Deal Expected
March 25, 2003 -- Luisa Beltran, CBS.MarketWatch.com: "FedEx Corp. and United Parcel Service are not expected to stand silently by while DHL Worldwide Express consummates its $1.05 billion takeover of Airborne. FedEx and UPS have already pushed the Department of Transportation to look at the ownership of DHL. The companies claim that the DHL is really just an arm of the German government. 'Both UPS and FedEx are going to object to DHL's acquisition of Airborne's ground base assets under the cover of regulatory and anticompetitive grounds,' said analyst Peter Jacobs, of Ragen MacKenzie, a division of Wells Fargo Investments, who does not own any Airborne shares. Federal law restricts foreign ownership of a U.S. airline to not more than 25 percent. But FedEx and UPS have claimed that DHL Airways, a unit of DHL Worldwide Express, is owned and controlled by Deutsche Post, which is 70 percent owned by the German government. 'We don't think [DHL] should be allowed to expand in the U.S. until the DOT completes its investigation,' FedEx spokeswoman Kristin Krause said Tuesday. UPS declined comment. Initially, during the fall of 2000, the DOT felt that DHL met all the requirements for full U.S. citizenship. But at the urging of some powerful congressional bigwigs, the agency might again look at the issue." (Source: CBS.MarketWatch.com, Luisa Beltran reporting)  
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:03:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I've never had a problem shipping firearms at my UPS location.   The ladies there are great.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:03:55 PM EDT
[#14]
UPS wouldn't let me ship a paintball gun to Canada...even though it was in pieces.

USPS sent it...who knows.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:50:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I've had enough of their PC bullshit.  I ship tools or machine parts nowadays.  With handugns it's ever worse, both FedEx and UPS require overnight shipping (I've heard grumblings they either have or are intending to make it all firearms, haven't shipped one recently), which is like double/triple the cost.  Screw that...

And as pointed out above, it most certainly is not illegal to not inform a contract carrier of the contents provided you are shipping it to an FFL/manufacturer.  And don't bother posted up the blurb from the ATF "FAQ", it's blantantly wrong (you can read the actual text of the law, it clearly doesn't state that) and they've admitted it...  And yet it goes unchanged...
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:55:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:05:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:54:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:48:48 AM EDT
[#19]
You can ship via USPS. But there is a form you have to fill out (at least that what my local post office had me do). I just got them form, and made a bunch of photo copies so that I don't have to ask for one everytime I go in (they had a very hard time finding that form, guess not alot of people are shipping guns in my area ).
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:39:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:56:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:05:11 AM EDT
[#22]
I called for a UPS pickup last week to send my SAR1 off. The gal asked "Is it an automatic weapon?" "No." Knowing full well what she meant.

After a couple more questions she puts me on hold - uh oh, this can't be good. Comes back on and tells me UPS will no longer ship a firearm from an idividual unless the gun is going to the manufacturer. Nope, a license gunsmith isn't good enough. The manufacturer or no ship. End of discussion.

I called FedEx and they will ship, but all guns has to go overnight. $25 - and less time in the hands of their gorillas. I can live with that.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 10:33:04 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
usps.

help lance beat the french...again!

I thought USPS was dropping sponsorship and that they were just going to be the Discovery Channel Team?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 10:36:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 10:49:30 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Log on to the UPS website, set up an account.....print your labels from home on a laser.

Drop your package off at any UPS counter.

UPS Store Clerk, "Oh, prepaid?"

Shivan, "Yes.......bye now."

That's the way to do it, and they can't say that you dropped if off anywhere other than the customer counter.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:31:51 AM EDT
[#26]
tag
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 1:23:25 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Log on to the UPS website, set up an account.....print your labels from home on a laser.

Drop your package off at any UPS counter.

UPS Store Clerk, "Oh, prepaid?"

Shivan, "Yes.......bye now."

Prepaid shipping labels are definitely the way to go with UPS or FedEx.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:56:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:10:56 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
How do you pre-pay, estimate the weight?

Postal service regs say you have to provide a letter to the postmaster stating you are shipping a long arm, it is unloaded and incapable of firing (bolt removed).  Letter gets enclosed with the package, seal it in front of the clerk... No problems.

For UPS I put down say the following... Century L1A1...  I'm declaring its a firearm, if somebody happens to know what a Century L1A1 is...

If you happen to have a C&R, I've found showing that cuts down on questions.  I never claim to be a dealer, I just explain the regulations as I have looked them up.  They ask, are you a dealer?  I answer truthfully... No, but I have an FFL.  Absolutely true... a C&R is an FFL.  You mean to tell me they don't know the difference between a dealer and a collector?

I obey the law at all times, sometimes you just have to use jedi mind tricks on the clerks to get them to do their job.

Estimated guess on weight.  Unless it's pretty heavy, then I weigh myself at home and then with the package and subtract the difference.  www.ups.com/content/us/en/index.jsx then click on 'register' on the upper right.  You can make the charges go to a CC or a Check Card like I do.  Handguns must still go NDA or NDA Saver (about half the price of NDA).  You can get the little sleeves self adhesive free of charge from UPS if you have an accoutn under 'order supplies' when you sign in, part number 171604 Address Pouch 50 Piece(s)
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:28:45 PM EDT
[#30]
I just played hell with UPS also...
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:34:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:51:32 AM EDT
[#32]
I've not had a problem with either UPS or FedEx.  

I always use a prepaid label, and the boxes that I use for shipping long items sometimes have labels with barcodes on them that say "Drum Pumps" or "Window Blinds" or "Press Rollers" or "Spray Wands."  

You can also give a prepaid parcel to any driver.  They scan it into their hand-held, which is then dumped periodically by antenna to the Mothership.

Noah
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:56:48 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I always use a prepaid label, and the boxes that I use for shipping long items sometimes have labels with barcodes on them that say "Drum Pumps" or "Window Blinds" or "Press Rollers" or "Spray Wands."  

Noah

"golf clubs"
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:41:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:49:50 PM EDT
[#35]
I use prepaid labels and either give it to my UPS driver or I drive to the UPS Customer Center close by.  I will only drop off gun parts at a UPS Store if I do not catch my driver in time.  You have the same morons working there when they were MailBoxes Etc.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:55:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:58:31 AM EDT
[#37]
It's a wonder, with all the media exposure about the AWB, how packages with the Bushmaster, Armalite, Colt name etc., aren't stolen in transit. I wish Bushmaster would put BFI as the sender, and not advertise to some schmuck in loading making $8.00/per, what the package is.

I cringe everytime I order something. I've been lucky and haven't had to use UPS's customer service #.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:12:34 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I ship all mine via USPS priority mail.  

Ask JOHNO how much fun we had shipping with USPS.  2 weeks to get a package from me to him.  UPS only took 3 days to do the transfer the week before.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:26:36 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Mailboxes Etc UPS Store is owned by UPS.

UPS Store is the new name for Mailboxes Etc. and they are franchises with almost 100% markup.  Open your own online account with either FedEx or UPS and you can drop of the packages at the appropriate stores and aren't asked whats in them.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top