Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2005 4:45:56 PM EDT
I'm new to AK's but am interested in building.

1) Where would the best "kit" come from?
2) Which kit would make a fully functional yet economical AK?
3) What other parts are needed to make it totally legal.

Thanks,
Terry in NC
[email protected]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:21:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Try a Romy (Romanian AKM) kit, you can buy them from places such as www.sksman.com, www.centerfiresystems.com, just to name a few.  You can either buy or build your receiver, info for that is up here on ARFCOM.  For a stamped-receiver AK, there's 16 imported parts that count, well, you can't have any more than 10 imported parts in the weapon, and you have to either permanently attach a muzzle device or destroy the muzzle device threads in order to be completely legal, BATFE is apparently paranoid about the idea of people being able to suppress AK's (not sure why one would want to, but that's just me).  More experienced members should be along shortly, oh, and welcome to the dark side
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:30:09 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
and you have to either permanently attach a muzzle device or destroy the muzzle device threads in order to be completely legal,

Not anymore at the Federal level (as long as the barrel is 16").  States may still have the ban, but threads are back to being legal.  Throw the silver solder away! (Well, keep it for those AMD-65s).
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:05:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the updates. Looks like "a-Romy" I will go...

Is it best to get 2 kits, one to build and 1 for spare parts?

Terry
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:28:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Spare parts are easy to come by, but if you want to get a Romy for spare parts DPH Arms is selling $80.00 complete romy grade "C" kits right now. http://dpharms.com/grade-c-kits-p-128.html

There are alot of places to get a Romy kit from, but I would suggest supporting one of this sites advertisers.

You'll need a receiver along with your kit to complete your AK. I suggest a Global receiver. I got mine from Ohio Rapid Fire.

You need a total of 6 US made parts in your build to make it 922 compliant. Fire Control Gruops count as 3 parts, your receiver is another. Changing the pistol grip will count as your 5th,  and a simple furniture change will get you your 6th. Or you could get US made magazine followers or a bunch of other US parts available. (Theres a post that lists all of them here)

The AK is a very simple mechanism, and doesn't need "spare" parts always available. Barrels are pretty hardy (especially for civilian use) and should last you for years. You could get a spare gas piston (I'd count for another US part) as well as bolt/carrier but all in all the AK's don't 'wear out' many parts easily.

Don't forget a good hammer, drill press, and Dremel. They will come in handy.

Good Luck.

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:29:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks again for the information.
I hadn't thought about the Rony's not needing spare parts. I guess I'm still in the Garrand/AR world where spares are wanted if not needed.

From the descriptions and happy campers in the EE, I've go 2 of Scott's 'C' grades coming and a Tapco compliance kit (5 parts: FCG, Gas Piston, & Grip). Still have to get the receiver to make part #6.

I'm in good shape for shop tooling as I do minor construction for "play".

Do you know of anying that sells the bolt-cutters made into rivet presses? I'm not a welder (I've  welded in the past; not very well, but...) and no longer have the equipment.

Thanks again,
Terry
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:53:14 AM EDT
[#6]
+1 on the Romy build, and +1 on DPH arms.  I've used Global Trades receivers for both builds and they are a good shell for a beginning builder.

Sudboy

E.T.A. Where in NC are you?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:23:34 AM EDT
[#7]
"Up" northwest of Greensboro, but I travel 85/40 each day to RTP for work.
The biggest problem that I've found is a place to 'pop caps' and send lead downrange, or even hunting for that matter.

Where are you located?

"[email protected]", since going to this site during the day is not too good...
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:41:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Northwest of Greensboro?  I live just outside W-S (King).  We need to get sudboy to throw a "build party"!!!  Me and a co-worker just got in our order from AIM yesterday (6 Romy kits).  We'll be tooled-up soon.  I've already made plans with Scott (DPH) to meet up with him @ the Charlotte show next weekend.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:13:02 PM EDT
[#9]
To be more precise, the location is 5 miles N of the Greensboro airport.  How far off is sudboy?

+1 on the build party!  
This is uncharted territory for me, AK's that is.  Mausers, AR's, and 1911's are nothing anything new but these are new animals.  I've ordered the 2 $80 kits through Scott and was planning to using the Ewbanks receiver he had: Emphasis is HAD. Now will have to go elsewhere.
-Is just about everyone using pre-bent receivers or are some still using flats?

When is the Charlotte show? I hope it's not the weekend of the 8th and 9th as that's another one of those weekends where the time is spent with my son at baseball tournaments.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:36:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey Terry, I found that list of possible US made parts you can use:

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings
(2) Barrels
(3) Barrel extensions
(4) Mounting blocks (trunions)
(5) Muzzle attachments
(6) Bolts
(7) Bolt carriers
(8) Operating rods
(9) Gas pistons
(10) Trigger housings
(11) Triggers
(12) Hammers
(13) Sears
(14) Disconnectors
(15) Buttstocks
(16) Pistol grips
(17) Forearms, handguards
(18) Magazine bodies
(19) Followers
(20) Floorplates

As for your 1st build I suggest using a prebent receiver. You won't need any tools or have to heat treat anything. You'll still have to drill to fit your trunions (front & back)  and refinish everything but that's it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:51:49 PM EDT
[#11]
did i hear 'build party' in NC?
if that ever happens and you guys wouldn't mind someone else tagging along. hit me up, i would love to come and would love even more to build this AMD kit correctly.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:01:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
To be more precise, the location is 5 miles N of the Greensboro airport.  How far off is sudboy?

+1 on the build party!  
This is uncharted territory for me, AK's that is.  Mausers, AR's, and 1911's are nothing anything new but these are new animals.  I've ordered the 2 $80 kits through Scott and was planning to using the Ewbanks receiver he had: Emphasis is HADhave-Is just about everyone using pre-bent receivers or are some still using flats?

When is the Charlotte show? I hope it's not the weekend of the 8th and 9th as that's another one of those weekends where the time is spent with my son at baseball tournaments.

I live at the I40 - I85 split.  I've not folded a flat yet, though a pal has a DPH jig and wants me to make my own receiver for the Pole underfolder I am building next.  For the first build, though, I would definately recommend a GT receiver as they make for easy builds.  

I use the duct tape + pennies + barrel immersed in dry ice slurry and a2lb hammer to reinstall the barrel into the trunnion.  I made some crude rivet squeezers from harbor frieght bolt cutters.  I'm no expert, but my methods have worked for me so far.

Sudboy

E.T.A. When deciding what US parts to use, remember the important thing is *not* the number of US parts in the gun, but the countable number of imported parts in the gun (no more than ten).

Further E.T.A. 9sigman45 my favorite beer when building AK's is cold and more!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:13:02 AM EDT
[#13]
If your ready to show us newbs how to build an AK I'll pick-up fuzzy on my trek east to your place.  Me and a co-worker are starting to tool up now but have zero experience with AK's.  He's got a 12 ton press on order, I've spoke to scott about picking up a dph jig (cause I'm gonna bend my own) at the Charlotte show next weekend.  We've been trying to contact Xebec about his "barrel press kit" but no luck yet.  I've seen one listed on akbuilder.com but like the looks of xebec's.  One month ago I was all about AR's (actually got John at WOP building me a custom Kreiger barrel right now), but this AK thing is quite intresting and should make for some good projects.  Guess I'm just a tinkerer that always needs something to do!  If your serious about a build party, give me a little time to make plans and let me know.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:41:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Sudboy:
How many flats could we form? I'm interested in not having a "yellow" paper() trail any more than necessary.  How  long should it take to fold one of Scott's flats?

Terry
-backup, and additional backup: it works in computers too!
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top