Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2009 4:17:01 PM EDT
So I picked up a new Lancaster side folder today and I have a few questions...

I'm severely cross dominate so I shoot long guns left handed but pistol right handed.  Because of this I'll be setting up the AK for a single point sling and was planning on the Blue Force Gear padded single point but I have a question about attachment.  Clearly I can use the swivel on the side folder but is there a way I can remove that and run a QD, mash hook or HK Snap on the same stock?  I'll attach some photos so it's clear what stock I have.  Any other suggestions on a sling would be greatly appreciated.  I was also considering a SOE Gear bungee single point... Anyone have input on those?

Link to photos here...     Photos

Apparently I'm to stupid to figure out how to upload to the site.

The front furniture is marked as Bulgarian but just below the rear sight there is a stamped "G" so I assume it's a Romanian "G" model.  Is this the case or is it from a different parts kit?  Is there anything significant I should be aware of for this exact gun?  I'm asking about it's country of orgin because I'll be ordering a La Rue Tactical Iron Dot for it and apparently the Bulgarian AKs require a different version of the Iron Dot.

My Chinese mags fit perfect without any rattle but I have a hard time getting a American Tactical steel mag into place.  Is that typical of the American Tactical?

Does anyone know of a light mount that will attach to the gun some how so I can keep the wood furniture on the front but still mount a light of some kind?

Is there somewhere that I can get an original AKM cleaning/tool kit on the cheap to keep in my pack?

Thanks is advance for the help guys!!!!

Jason
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:54:04 PM EDT
[#1]
well the hand guards look Hungarian to me. At least just like the blond ones I have. Very sweet rifle you have!

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:09:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Very nice rifle!  Vector was using that same wood on their rifles for a little.  The one i owned had "Made in Bulgaria" on all of the furniture.  Funny thing is that i sold the wood furniture on my old WASR

Very delicate furniture btw

edit:  thats a romy w/ a bulgy side folding stock/trunnion and bulgy furniture basically.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:20:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Link to photos here...     http://gallery.me.com/jason_alicia#100187

Apparently I'm to stupid to figure out how to upload to the site.
Jason

apple.com/mobileme/ is stupid. Maybe they don't let you post pics here. Get different photo hosting site if you wish to post pics here.
Each time I open page there, I get this annoying sound and warning that they want to install Quick Time.
Persistent sumbitches. I already have Quick Time installed.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:46:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Very delicate furniture btw

No kidding...  I was afraid to get them anywhere near any cleaner.  They feel as soft as pine...
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:48:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

apple.com/mobileme/ is stupid. Maybe they don't let you post pics here. Get different photo hosting site if you wish to post pics here.
Each time I open page there, I get this annoying sound and warning that they want to install Quick Time.
Persistent sumbitches. I already have Quick Time installed.

Let see if this works...
http://gallery.me.com/jason_alicia/100187/P1030099/web.jpg?ver=12451977200001

Okay apparently I'm not completely lame.  I was just missing the boat for a bit...
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:41:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I used break free CLP to clean my set before putting up on EE, and it didn't do them any harm, but the wood is soft. Mine have a few dings in them just from sitting in storage. All wood will get nicks and scratches, but these are really soft compared to my Russian set.  Again, very smooth rifle you got. I think you did better than the other one that was all twisted. BTW, it looks like I was wrong, my blond ones are stamped Bulgaria also.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:46:59 AM EDT
[#7]
As far as a sling option you can take pretty much any single-point sling and attach it to the sling mount that's located at the base of the back stock.  Keep in mind that it's located on the right side of the rifle while the stock is extended and opposite while folded.  Don't know how much difference that makes but it certainly hasn't made a difference to me on my Bulgarian AKS-74.  For my purposes I'm going to throw on a Russian issued canvas sling.  I just ordered one for my Russian-esque underfolder and I'm fine with it (although that particular system is two-point).  

You can order a cleaning kit from K-Var (http://www.k-var.com/shop/home.php?cat=284) and it'll cost you a whole $12.00.  Poke around the internet some and you can get them even cheaper.  Obviously, you don't have anywhere to store it with the side-folder but it's self-contained and you can drop it wherever you keep the rest of your cleaning crap.  Also, K-Var is a good source for getting AK pieces parts.  I would bookmark it if I were you.  They're also great to deal with.

As far as a flashlight, you can try this guy if you want one actually made in Russia for AK's (http://www.avtomats-in-action.com/).  He has one for sale at (http://tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/akbstparts.html) and, though I've never done business with him, I hear he's great to deal with.  I believe he ships out of Texas.  He doesn't have prices on his page but there's a link to e-mail him and he'll send you a current price list on everything.  Also, his sight is great for project building and stuff like that.  He's got a lot of great builds if you're interested in realism with your AK.

And last thing, depending on the builder, Romy G kits can be good or shitty.  I bought my Russian Underfolder from Lancaster recently and it's a Romy G kit build as well.  The guys involved with Century have some of the worst reputations in the AK world and I, personally, wouldn't touch something they built with a 10-foot pole.  But that's because they seem to have no system of quality control in place.  They don't even care if they're rifles work when they build them, never mind the shot out/dog shit quality of their parts.  Lancaster, however, seems to have an extremely competent staff that obviously knows what they're doing.  My recent one not only looked absolutely beautiful but performed perfect.  Everything on that rifle was smooth.  Not too tight, not too loose.  Everything on the entire gun was like that.  Perfect.  You probably paid some money for that piece but got a pretty good rifle in the process.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top