Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2005 7:32:16 AM EDT
I am new here and I am looking at getting an AK, but I have a few questions. What type of accessories can I get for them? I know that AR's have a wide range of add ons but I don't know about AK's. Also can I get american made parts for one (the new ATF ban crap) or do I need to stockpile parts from the country of origin? And lastly... What about ammo.. I have had bad experiences with Russian ammo in my hand guns so I am wondering about domestic brands and even reloading brass and bullets.

Thanks and be safe.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:37:13 AM EDT
[#1]
the russian ammo is the correct ammo for an AK, it will run just fine with it(considering it was designed around that ammo).  reloading can be done, but it is more trouble than it is worth in my opinion.  as far as the "NEW ATF BAN" that only includes barrels, all the other parts can still come in, you wont need to worry for now.  besides, you probably wont be able to wear out a barrel on an AK considering that you arent going to be buying a full auto specimen.

as for accessories, yes there are some out there, but if I were you I would limit it to a folding stock of romanian or east german origin and a good eastern bloc optic that uses the side optics rail.
please dont "tapcoize" or "AR-ize" your AK
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:47:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Just don't shoot stuff with the lacqerd case and you'll be fine,It makes a mess of your rifle.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:59:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I have heard that Wolf has a lacqerd case. Does it? And even if I do use lacqerd cases can't I use a good cleaner to remove it.

The reason I want accessories is I am wanting to possibly use it for tactical uses. I know it is a bit over powered but I am talking about high risk operations, so It wont matter. I realy only want a light and a red dot type sight.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:41:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Wolf replaced the lacquer with a grey polymer coating about a year ago.  It runs great in my AK's and AR's.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 2:05:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
the russian ammo is the correct ammo for an AK, it will run just fine with it(considering it was designed around that ammo).  reloading can be done, but it is more trouble than it is worth in my opinion.  as far as the "NEW ATF BAN" that only includes barrels, all the other parts can still come in, you wont need to worry for now.  besides, you probably wont be able to wear out a barrel on an AK considering that you arent going to be buying a full auto specimen.

as for accessories, yes there are some out there, but if I were you I would limit it to a folding stock of romanian or east german origin and a good eastern bloc optic that uses the side optics rail.
please dont "tapcoize" or "AR-ize" your AK

Its an AK.  It is what it is.  No frills bare bones rifle.  Treat it as such.  I mean ya can cross accessorize it with AR parts and some people do and its up to you if you chose to do that but I wont and wouldnt because its a AK.  Throw in in dirt and shoot it.  Roll it in mud and shoot it.  Light it on fire then pee on it and shoot it.  Its a AK thats what it was made for. USE and ABUSE.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 2:48:10 PM EDT
[#6]
well put MrMurphy

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:17:00 PM EDT
[#7]
OK... Last question for the day. I can get a romak for cheap here and I was wondering if I can change to a standard pistol grip and different stock. I don't know if I want a romak if I can't. I just know that I like to be able to change the furniture to a style that I like.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:25:16 PM EDT
[#8]
the question is which romak?  the big SVD lookalike?  or regular size AK ones?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:24:44 PM EDT
[#9]
The regular AK size. I can get it for about $200 or less. But can I put Regular AK grips and stock on it?
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top