Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/1/2005 12:40:14 PM EDT
I gave Piece of History Firearms a call a bit over a week ago about doing an AK-74 build for me. Mario told me he would be in the shop Friday (July 22nd) so I drove over and dropped of a box of parts I had laying around for some months trying to make up my mind whether to sell them or have a rifle built. With all the talk about parts kits drying up I decided to go with a professional build.

I got a call from Mario a week (July 29th) later telling me the rifle was being painted and would be test fired on Sunday. Today (Monday August 1st) I drove over to his shop and picked up the finished rifle.
Not a bad turn-around time, 10 days from dropping off the kit. I have to wait until this Thursday to take it out and fire it, but from what I have heard of his work, I shouldn't have any problems.

Black K-VAR U.S. stockset
Global Trades 1 mm receiver
Old type Gordon Tech double hook FCG
Side rail scope mount
Bulgarian selector engraving
Moly over park
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:49:53 PM EDT
NICE!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:49:59 PM EDT
Very nice. Let us know how it shoots!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:54:28 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:38:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Mak:
I gave Piece of History Firearms a call a bit over a week ago about doing an AK-74 build for me. Mario told me he would be in the shop Friday (July 22nd) so I drove over and dropped of a box of parts I had laying around for some months trying to make up my mind whether to sell them or have a rifle built. With all the talk about parts kits drying up I decided to go with a professional build.

I got a call from Mario a week (July 29th) later telling me the rifle was being painted and would be test fired on Sunday. Today (Monday August 1st) I drove over to his shop and picked up the finished rifle.
Not a bad turn-around time, 10 days from dropping off the kit. I have to wait until this Thursday to take it out and fire it, but from what I have heard of his work, I shouldn't have any problems.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/Wildweasel02/Picture002.jpg
img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/Wildweasel02/Picture016.jpg
img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/Wildweasel02/Picture014.jpg

Black K-VAR U.S. stockset
Global Trades 1 mm receiver
Old type Gordon Tech double hook FCG
Side rail scope mount
Bulgarian selector engraving
Moly over park

Nice markings... Great overall build!

Spooky
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:50:48 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:31:54 PM EDT
Nice!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:56:04 PM EDT
The reciever markings are real slick, a neat touch. The "Cat's Ass" as you might say.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:29:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/1/2005 11:29:38 PM EDT by Mak]
Mario at Piece of History Firearms has receivers in stock and if he does the build he gives you a good price on the receiver. I have a Polish underfolder kit put away for him to build in the near future. I believe his prices on a build are in line with builders such as Derek at Arizona Expert Arms. A bit more expensive than some, but being local I was able to deal face to face, didn't have to pay shipping and had a fast turn-around time.

I didn't have to deal with the frustration of a poor build by someone who does not pay due attention to detail.

I have contacted other builders and they were backed up several months and with the possibilities of people going out of business with a shortage of parts kits in the future, I liked the idea of having a local smith do my build. Not that there are not enough kits out there to keep builders busy for a long time. I look at these professional builds as an investment. I have always held my firearms until someone comes along who just has to have the one I have.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:46:13 PM EDT
Finally made it up into the Santa Rita Mountains today to test fire my Bulgarian AK-74 build done by Mario at Piece of History Firearms. I mounted a Russian PSOP 4x24 siderail mount scope with a 400 m reticle.

I set the cardboard cutout target at ground level at 100 yards in the brush and fired about 60 rounds rapid fire in the offhand position. I was using Wolf ammo as I didn't have the time to dig out some Barnaul.

The wind was from the right at about 15 mph and though I was shooting a bit to the left of the target, I didn't make any adjustments as this was just a function test of the rifle, different types of mags and to see if I could get it on paper. I counted 58 holes in the target so I was at least able to hit the target, I hadn't expected to even do that without sighting in.

I'm glad that I decided to have this rifle built instead of selling the kit off, even though I could have had a nice return on it with the barrel ban that will shortly be in effect.

One of the mags I have for this rifle is a .223 Arsenal 5 round mag which with some minor fitting functions flawlessly with 4 5.45x39 rounds. I will be using the rifle hopefully this winter when I go out varmint hunting for coyotes. I'll have to fine tune the optic at the range and I also will not be shooting from the offhand position, so I think this setup will work fine for a few coyotes. Most of the time I will be using one of my heavy barrel AR-15 varmint or target rifles.

Top Top