Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2003 6:46:28 PM EDT
My local pawn shop has an Egyptian Maadi for sale. He has had it for a while so I am pretty sure I can get it for less than 200 bucks out the door.

The only problem is the gun is pretty rough. The bore is ok, but the rest is not. Just off hand, I noticed that the front sight is crooked, the finish looks like oven grease, the top cover is only tight because of the gunk between it and the reciever, etc.

It looks like it was shot a good bit and then stored in a I don't know what. But, I think it has some potential, especially considering the price.

I need to know if this is something I can even get parts for. And what kind of prices I would be looking at.

I know it isn't a SAR, so parts won't be plentiful, but I don't even know where to start looking for stuff.

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 6:55:13 PM EDT
[#1]
that sounds like a good price. I paid a little over 3 but that was in good condition. Parts should not be hard to find, check link.

www.redstararms.com
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 7:27:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like a bad deal for you.

I think it would be a better deal for me.
Let me know where the pawn shop is and i will spare you the agony of having to clean up, refinish, and then shoot such a fine rifle...

KyARGuy
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 7:28:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Youre probably looking at $150 or so to have the front site straightened and have a professional refinish with a moly/parkerized finish.  If you need new furniture $50-80.  Now if youre looking for a project and you will do the refinish and fix the front sight yourself - neither is tough to do - it may be a good deal.  Check the bore.  If its very good to excellent and youre going to do the work yourself, its probably a decent buy.  If its a preban, and you want to do a 74 or krink build its a great price for a starting receiver.

I am always leary of buying guns if I dont know there history - sometimes youre buying someone elses problems.

Just my .02.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 7:38:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Dude buy it!!!! God only knows that most nib sar's need that same amount of work!However they dont have the value of the naadi after the refinish. Also the maadi's seem to be dissappearing REAL FAST.Closest thing you can get to a soviet akm. Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 8:04:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Cool, thanks for the information guys.

I have someone on another forum telling me to stay away from the Maadi's, that they are low quality. Any input?

Also, how do I tell what this gun is about? I mean, can I look at it and tell if it is pre-ban or how old/new it is?

Anything I should be really looking for good or bad?

What if I tell him to hold it for me, take some pictures of it, show you guys and you can tell me what you think?

I am almost positive I can get it for about $160.00.

Also, and this is really important to me, can I use any of the surplus of AK parts floating around out there for this gun and they will work with no problems? I mean, when someone says, this part will fit this, this this and this, is the Maadi usually in or out of that group?

Thanks a lot for the help!!
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 7:28:00 AM EDT
[#6]
If I were you I would put the maadi on hold.You can post pictures and we can tell you how good or bad condition it is in.As for maadi's being of poor quality,that is a misconception.The only maadi that sucks is a misr-90 with chicom parts,other than that model most others seem to be highly sought after.The maadi will accept any of the AK parts fitted from eastern block countries...romania,bulgaria,e.germany. As long as it is a hi-cap I would grab it.How is it marked maadi ARM or maadi MISR?The markings are kinda important.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 8:21:06 AM EDT
[#7]
It is a Maadi MISR-10. It is not a pre-ban and the bore is in good shape. The only things that concern me after looking at it today is that the front sight post is way over to the right almost like it shoots off, the gas block front attachment post (where it is attached to the barrel) is crooked, the cleaning rod is bent and will not easily come out, the crown is in bad shape and he now wants $250.00 for it.

Help me out guys, should I get it or just order a SAR-1? I can get a SAR-1 locally with tax and everything included for $375.00.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 11:55:30 AM EDT
[#8]
If I'm not mistaken, MISR rifles are Egyptian receivers with Chinese front ends.....

Personally.....I would pass on it....and I am the biggest advocate of "You can never have enough AKs."

Wait for another deal to come along.  I think time will show you were the better shopper for waiting.

I waited for quite some time, and then scored big with InRange on this Maadi RPM....

Take care,

KF
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 1:57:23 PM EDT
[#9]
SAR it is then. Consider $290 wholesale, shipping and basic ffl fee and it is 330-350, add the value of an inspection before purchase and $375 is reasonable.

What to look for: side rail optics mount within 1/8" of level with the bbl/receiver front to rear (somewhere from 1/8 to 1/4 rail tilt is too much), front sight, gas block are all straight in line with the rest of the gun, no major finish problems (this aint no pageant budget but), and no major hitches in the action (some hold at the bolt open range is normal but a fe hand cycles and dry fires should not require real force either).

My 2000 model has smoked the handguards several times and still gives 4 moa on 8 cent ammo.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 4:53:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
It is a Maadi MISR-10. It is not a pre-ban and the bore is in good shape. The only things that concern me after looking at it today is that the front sight post is way over to the right almost like it shoots off, the gas block front attachment post (where it is attached to the barrel) is crooked, the cleaning rod is bent and will not easily come out, the crown is in bad shape and he now wants $250.00 for it.  .

I'd pass for a low cap maddi for $250, they were going for around $199 new not too long ago.

For about $65 more you can get a new Sar 1.

Link Posted: 9/23/2003 5:34:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I thought the barrel looked to have the typical ChiCom machining marks. I used to own a MAK-90. Great gun, shoulda kept it.

Well, thanks a BUNCH for the help guys. You kept me from making a mistake and I really appreciate it.

I guess I will go check out this SAR-1 across town. Thanks for the heads up on what to look for. I will report back and let you know how it goes. Maybe with some pics!

Thanks again!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top