Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2007 1:55:21 AM EDT
After reading the reviews here on AR15.com, I decided to order a Lancaster AKM-47RS from Atlantic.  Atlantic's service was evey bit as good as I've read about on this site, quick and hassle-free. I was expecting a rifle with a higher degree of fit and finish than the WASRs in my price range.

Pros:
1. Gunkote finish was applied evenly with no drips or runs
2. Wood has been nicely refinished and is quite attractive to my eye.
3. Rifle is very "tight", without the rattles that one experiences with WASRs

Cons:
1. Areas of deep pitting on gas tube, outside surface of barrel near gas block, and receiver cover.
2. An extreme amount of rear sight block cant.  So much cant that I need to twist the rifle in my shoulder for a clear sight picture.

Conclusion:
I must say that I'm a bit dissapointed.  Although the overall refinish work by Lancaster is high quality in my opinion, I'm rather surprised they chose to rebuild this particular Romanian G kit.  The pitting seriously detracts from overall appearance and the sight cant is simply unacceptable to me for a rifle in this price range.  Regretfully, I have decided to return it to Atlantic for a refund.

Link Posted: 2/12/2007 3:19:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Pick up a Arsenal or old Polytech!!! You won't have any of those problems.

Good Luck,

Link Posted: 2/12/2007 3:49:24 AM EDT
[#2]
That is unacceptable, IMO.

Shame, too. Everyone else's Lancasters looked amazing.

One thing worth noting is that canted barrel mounted parts aren't the fault of the builder. The kit they assembled that gun from must have had canted parts, as none of the barrel-mounted hardward is removed or replaced during the build.

However, that dosen't mean a build with canted parts should ever be allowed to leave the front door.
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 4:00:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 9:48:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Have you thought about just sending the rifle back to Atlantic and asking for a Vector instead?

That's what I'd probably do.  If the Vector is an extra few bucks and I'd do that still.

Regards and I'm sure Atlantic will take care of you, good folks.
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 10:10:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I'll offer $200 for that returned reject there Atlantic...
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 11:24:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Like Laoshi, I have been reading reviews on this site and recently registered. Hoping that I am far enough into the learning curve, I am making plans to purchase Atlantic Firearms AKM 1.66mm Classic. Coyotes are advancing towards the pasture where The Wife has her horses and miniature donkeys. Using Laoshi's photos as a guide, I will be examining the new arrival very closely. I hope all will go well, but if not, I am encouraged by reports of Atlantic's customer service. My previous experience with an AK47 was during the Great Southeast Asia War Games in the 60's when I would pick one up from a fallen adversary when my early production M-16 jammed. After the AK ran dry, I would ditch it and pick up another. I look forward to advancing far enough along to be able to someday make a meaningful contribution to this site.
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 12:56:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Laoshi, I'm sure you will find that Atlantic and Lancaster will take care of the problem. I hope you decide to stick with the Lancaster. I truely feel they are a great rifle. It sucks that all of your anticipation and joy is blemished but give them both a chance to make it right.
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 2:01:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Laoshi, I'm sure you will find that Atlantic and Lancaster will take care of the problem. I hope you decide to stick with the Lancaster. I truely feel they are a great rifle. It sucks that all of your anticipation and joy is blemished but give them both a chance to make it right.

I'm not at all angry or upset with Atlantic, quite the contrary.  I spoke with Blaine this morning and not only did he offer to refund the return shipping cost, but also a discount on an Arsenal rifle I expressed interest in.  I couldn't ask for more.  As for Lancaster, I know many are satisfied with their builds, so will only say I am not with this particular specimen.  It may not even be an issue of QC, what I reject another may find perfectly acceptable.  It's a matter of personal taste.  My plan at the moment is to save the cash for something more refined.
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 2:05:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Wow.  As a Lancaster owner, I'm very disappointed with that......er.......gun.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 2:19:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Poop happens in all out-houses. Even though I have no personal experiance with Atlantic, their reputation would have me going back.
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 2:53:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I've never bought anything from Blaine at Atlantic Firearms but seems like he goes out of his way to make things right if there is a problem.I look foward to purchasing another AK this spring and those Lancaster rifles are looking pretty sweet.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:25:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Wow...  That looks really bad.  I am surprised that a company would put something that looked that bad and had those types of issues out.  I was really thinking hard about purchasing one of the Lancaster rifles but seeing something like that makes me reconsider.   However, everyone puts out a lemon every once in awhile...  Some more than others (mostly have heard good things about Lancaster).  Kudos to Atlantic Firearms for working to make it right.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 4:09:31 AM EDT
[#13]
As a Lancaster AK owner I would like it to made clear that this is blemishes on the AK are not the fault of Atlantic Firearms.  Atlantic is just a transfer point for firearms from many different manufacturers, and are not responsible for a company's quality control.  That being said I'm sure that this was probably a rare instance that a couple of blemishes got by on the production line at Lancaster.  Shit happens everywhere, and just keep in mind both Lancaster and Atlantic have no problem with a return of the gun for a new unblemished one.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 5:24:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Atlantic seems like a fair place and their customer service looks awesome, props to them for taking back the rifle and making it right.....Lancaster though is another story, I am sorry there is absolutely NO REASON why a rifle like that should have left the shop, there is some crazy amounts of pitting going on there....that rifle looks absolutely shitty.......thats why I would stick to the Vectors, I have NEVER seen anything of theirs leave the factory looking like that....and dont get me wrong yes shit happens you will have lemons on both ends....but that is just plain QC failure....they should have never used a kit that looked that bad in the first place...much less just Gunkote over it(jeez) then have the balls to send it to someone who just payed $400-$500....thats some nerve right there
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:47:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Let's not turn this into a pissing war between Vector and Lancaster.  I'm sure there are people that have had problems with Vector AK's too.  If you look at the postings from other people that have bought Lancaster (including myself) you'll find that people are quite satiisfied.  I think the important thing is that Lancaster (not to mention AF) are more than willing to make it right by the customer.  There are some companies out there (like CAI) who could barely give a shit if a customer has a problem.  Plus Lancasters come with a lifetime warranty, not sure any other AK builder is willing to stand that long behind their product.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 8:12:18 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
As a Lancaster AK owner I would like it to made clear that this is blemishes on the AK are not the fault of Atlantic Firearms.  Atlantic is just a transfer point for firearms from many different manufacturers, and are not responsible for a company's quality control.  That being said I'm sure that this was probably a rare instance that a couple of blemishes got by on the production line at Lancaster.  Shit happens everywhere, and just keep in mind both Lancaster and Atlantic have no problem with a return of the gun for a new unblemished one.  

well said.  My Lancaster should be here in 2-3 weeks hopefully!!!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top