Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2010 3:06:52 PM EDT
Just wondering if any one else has this problem.  I have a few hundred rounds of ammo that won't feed in my MAK 90.  It catches the bottom half of the hollow point and sets the bullet back in the casing.  Essentially turning it into a single shot.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:38:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Very common with Mak90's. I have had a few over the years that don't like HP's.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:25:29 PM EDT
[#2]
You should give the gun and ammo to me.  It will only giuve you headaches.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:59:16 PM EDT
[#3]
You should see marks where it's hitting on the gun, if you feel comfortable slowly file the area.

Also take the cover off and slowly feed the gun and watch where it catching. I have done it to several rifles with good results.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:31:36 PM EDT
[#4]
... or... just avoid HP ammo.  It really isn't at all uncommon for an AK to have feeding issues with HPs since they were never designed to feed them.  Some will feed them and others may can be made to feed them with a little attention, but since i've been aware of this issue for over 20 years I've just never bothered trying HPs in my AKs and I've never had a misfeed with FMJ ammo.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:01:06 PM EDT
[#5]
+1.  The mechanism was never designed for hollow points.  Just shoot other ammo with it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:37:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I disagree with the couple posts above me.

My Mak, and all 4 of my other ak's (Romy kit build, Chinese kit built, Select fire Clayco, Milled hungarian) all feed HP rounds with zero issues.  There is no reason an AK should not feed HP's.

Something is wrong or out of spec with your rifle.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:57:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

My Mak, and all 4 of my other ak's (Romy kit build, Chinese kit built, Select fire Clayco, Milled hungarian) all feed HP rounds with zero issues.  There is no reason an AK should not feed HP's.

Sorry but I cannot agree with this. This question comes up all the time on here an the answer never changes.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:26:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I disagree with this too.

Some semi-auto rifles (and pistols) simply don't shoot hollow-point ammunition well.  It doesn't necessarily mean there is anything wrong or out-of-spec with the gun.

AK's are designed to fire full metal jacket ammunition, and should function 100% with that ammo.  They were not specifically designed to fire hollowpoint ammo.  Many will of course, and that's great.  But those that don't, do not necessarily have something wrong with them.

As HalflLife said, MAK-90's in particular can have problems with hollowpoints.  Doesn't mean it's a bad gun.  Even the Browning Hi-Power - widely acknowledged as one of the best combat pistols ever made - can be finicky with HP ammo.

Use the ammo the gun was designed for, and there won't be any problems.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:09:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, I guess my original post in this thread shows that I disagree too.

But, to the OP's original question, yes a lot of people have had this problem.  Some AKs will feed HPs, granted, but those that won't are not at all uncommon.  As stated above the AK was never designed with HP ammo in mind, so there is nothing wrong with them, and they aren't out of spec when they don't function the way some people expect them to when using HPs.

Hell, for all I know all of my AKs may function fine with them, but due to the history of this issue I've just never bothered to find out.  The rifle was designed around a certain ogive curvature.  If you truncate that ogive you are running the risk of issues with reliability.  I'd say that even the AKs that feed HPs are running pretty damn close to the edge of choking on them, unless they are out of spec.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:56:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I've had this problem too.  I found out about it after buying 1000 rnds. of HP.  Either trade ammo w/ someone for FMJ, or fix the gun to shoot whatever you put in it.  I like option B.

I would not recommend filing, however.  A dremel w/ a felt pad and polishing compound, available a any home imp. store, will fix you right up without damaging your chamber and creating a hazardous situation.  (internet advise = at your own risk)

Simply polish the lower bevel on the bottom part of the chamber (where most hang up).  My MAK-90 has a 45 bevel all the way around the chamber mouth, and I've seen some with a machining "lip" that catches the HP.  Just polish that part smooth, no need to remove any metal.

I'd rather do a simple fix like this than deal with a finicky AK.  Kind-of defeats the purpose of having an AK IMO.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:00:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Well I guess I am just lucky then?

I have to add that all the other AK's i have ever been around and shot (at least 5-7 others) have fed HP just fine as well.  there was a period of time where all you could find locally around here was HP ammo....

Maybe you should just give me your Mak-90 and that will fix it.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:31:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the replys...I will try and polish the ramp and see how that works.  If not, I will be selling it.  ETA: The ammo that is....the MAK is here to stay.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:07:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Thanks for the replys...I will try and polish the ramp and see how that works. If not, I will be selling it.

I bet this will solve your problem. My M1 carbine started getting a little finicky and this is just what I did. Fixed it right up and havent had an issue since.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:00:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't know what there is to disagree with - the rifles were truly never originally designed or manufactured to feed HP rounds.  Granted, many will due to a number of reasons but it was never made for them.  It's just a simple matter of physics if you look at the feed ramp and the HP rounds.  But lots of them will work fine with them, for the most part.  I also have several AK's that will fire them, too.  

Working on the feed ramp should help in feeding them.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:12:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd be careful about whipping out the dremel.  I used to have two Mak-90's.  One wouldn't feed hollow points for crap.  The other would, but it would deform the bullet tips.  My Arsenal rifles feed the hollow points, but mangle softpoints badly.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:08:22 AM EDT
[#16]
a little touch up on the feed ramp is all ya need.Use the BLUE polishing bits.they are fine and will not take much off.Ya just need to "smooth" the ramp to stop it from catching the tip.you can see the copper marks,that is where ya need to polish it.I have done many and just a couple touches with the polish stone is all ya need.you can do it by hand also.some 320 grit wrapped around a wood dowel will work also.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top