Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2007 10:13:39 PM EDT
I am not having much luck buying parts for my SLR-100H Vector Arms milled AK47. I recently upgraded my pistol grip and had trouble finding one that fit. So I moved on to installing a scope mount, I researched and wound up buying a rivet mounted rail made in Belarus and a UTG 978 quick detach double rail. My problem is that the rail seems to sit about 1/2" right of bore centerline when holding assembly against rifle. My question is should I scrap the mount I bought and get something better? I also see Tantal has a screw mounted rail mount, which is better overall rivet or screw design if there is even a difference? Which mount is the best out there? Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated since I am new to this site and also a new ak owner. Thanks in advance.......
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 8:28:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Ditch the mount you bought and get something better.
Rivet rails are better than screw. Have a good AK smith install it. You have a very nice rifle and don't take a chance of screwing it up.
Some mounts and optics sit about 1/2" left off center to bore.

You noted that you are going to go with holographic sights, read this and decide.
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=56&t=98216

If you have more questions, ask in the Optics & Accessories forum.

Link Posted: 8/14/2007 5:55:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 2:22:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I am mostly looking at the red dot scope's, such as the Aimpoint CompML3. It seems to me when shouldering the rifle right handed using right eye the scope would be more natural low and center. I have not mounted the rail on the receiver yet, since I am unsure which mount I want to use and would hate for the mount to not fit the rail. It seems with the Russian scopes you either have a choice of left and low, or high and center. My goals are faster target acquisition and ease of targeting.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 6:09:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 11:53:56 PM EDT
[#5]

I also see Tantal has a screw mounted rail mount, which is better

I bought my side rail from Tantal.
i have a milled Krink by Firingline

did my own install, not bad, just a bit time consuming...

i used a BP-02 mount, also from Tantal.
unfortunately, on my Krink it needed much modification to fit (it was hitting the rear Krink site before engaging all the way into the side rail)

for me, a top mount of some sort makes more sense, i've seen home made top mounts, by screwing in a piece of Weaver rail by your rear site which worked well and allowed the side folder (for those with them) to be opened or closed with the sight in place (something you can't do with optics on a side rail mount)

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top