Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2004 5:26:47 AM EDT
I wanted a folding stock for my SAR-2. To be safe I decided to check our state laws.  This is what I found.

WEAPONS:  A firearm containing a stock capable of being contracted or folded to an overall length of 30 inches or less and being fully operable in such contracted or folded condition is a pistol requiring licensure for purchase, carrying or transport, and is subject to safety inspection.

A rifle with a barrel of at least 16 inches in length and a stock capable of being contracted or folded to an overall length of less than 26 inches, being fully operable in such contracted or folded condition, is a ‘short-barreled rifle’ whose sale or possession is prohibited.

Over 30 inches and it's a rifle.
Less than 30 inches and greater than 26 inches it is a pistol.
Under 26 inches and that is a big no-no.

My question which I haven't found the answer to.  If we add a folding stock and it becomes a pistol, did we "manufacture" it?   And is that legal??

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:16:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I am just finding out about this myself. My smith just called me about my Polish underfolder being too short ( under 30" ) to build.  What happened here in Michigan?  
I refuse  to pin the stock.......... so, I guess I have to take it down and get a green saftey card like a pistol. Is that correct?

I actually (received) one of Jokins PLO underfolders..... I wonder how that measures up.

What is up with Michigan? They are trying to ban knives that lock open. Gotta keep them dangerous Leathermans off the street.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:26:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I wanted a folding stock for my SAR-2. To be safe I decided to check our state laws.  This is what I found.

WEAPONS:  A firearm containing a stock capable of being contracted or folded to an overall length of 30 inches or less and being fully operable in such contracted or folded condition is a pistol requiring licensure for purchase, carrying or transport, and is subject to safety inspection.

A rifle with a barrel of at least 16 inches in length and a stock capable of being contracted or folded to an overall length of less than 26 inches, being fully operable in such contracted or folded condition, is a ‘short-barreled rifle’ whose sale or possession is prohibited.

Over 30 inches and it's a rifle.
Less than 30 inches and greater than 26 inches it is a pistol.
Under 26 inches and that is a big no-no.

My question which I haven't found the answer to.  If we add a folding stock and it becomes a pistol, did we "manufacture" it?   And is that legal??

You got it. This is the same law that prohibits Uzi folders in Michigan unless you get an 18 inch barrel(which make it 26 inches folded). MI measures with the stock folded.
30 inches folded and it is a rifle
26-29 inches and it is a pistol and needs to be registered just like a handgun
24 and under and it is a no no since you can't own SBRs in MI

I had to register a mossberg 500 pistol gripped 12 Ga. cruiser as a pistol because it was 29 inches OAL. Had a little green card and everything. Took the girl at the sherrif's department quite some time to figure out how that works.

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:05:35 PM EDT
[#3]
This folding stock thing is based on an Attorney General ruling back in 1985. As stated it covers UZIs, pistol grip/folding stock shotguns and folding stocks on rifles.  

If the gun with the stock folded is under 26"  it is a SBR or short barrel shotgun. If 26" but under 30" it has to be registered as a pistol. Over 30" it doesn't have to be registered.

I have an original Uzi which I put a fixed stock on when this ruling came out.  It is over 30".  I could put a 18" bbl or 2" muzzle extention on it with the folding stock and register it as a pistol.

My SAR1 has a new Tapco side folder. It is still locked in the open position while I decide to etiher register it as a pistol, (27.5" folded) or add a muzzle comp/flash hider to make it 30".
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top