Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2006 5:04:10 PM EDT
I have an early import MAK-90. One of those that "got caught on the docks". It has the thumbhole stock, ground off bayonet lug and cleaning rod holder and dinged up muzzle threads. The front sight base also has a pin permanently inserted into the hole where the muzzle brake detent goes.

I am getting a Chinese underfolder (AK style) and a US slant cut muzzle brake. I also ordered a black plastic US pistol grip. I DO NOT want to replace any parts of the fire control group because the trigger is amazing. What parts do I need to get compliant?

I eventually want to go with matching upper and lower handguards and pistol grip in wood as well as have the front sight base and gas block replaced so it will be as original as possible.

Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:21:17 PM EDT
[#1]
If you aren't going to change the fcg then you will have to use US wood for sure and perhaps a US gas piston.That setup would give you 4 US parts right there along with your US made muzzle device.Or you could use US made followers and floorplates on all your mags.That's good for 2 922r parts per mag. It seems pretty stupid I know but what can you do.Your choice.

And by the way don't even bother converting to a  underfolder for your MAK90 if that's what you're thinking.It ain't worth the hassle....

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:39:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Falcon Arms makes followers and floorplates modeled after Chinese mag parts, it can get pricy though if you own a lot of mags.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:39:58 PM EDT
[#3]
My MAK-90 is already an underfolder, it just didn't have the underfolder attached. I found new Chinese underfolders over at makarov.com for 50 bucks.

Will the US made muzzle brake count as a compliance part?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:58:29 PM EDT
[#4]
If you install a CHINESE Underfolding stock , and DONT change the FCG ,

You will HAVE to use the following US parts....

pistol grip
gas piston
handguards
mag floor plate
mag follower

The followers and floor plates must be in every mag you use in the rifle.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:01:09 PM EDT
[#5]
the muzzle brake will count, but handguards only count as one part.  you'll have the required amount if you do:
gas piston
followers
floorplates
brake
handguards
pistol grip
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:01:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If you install a CHINESE Underfolding stock , and DONT change the FCG ,

You will HAVE to use the following US parts....

pistol grip
gas piston
handguards
mag floor plate
mag follower

The followers and floor plates must be in every mag you use in the rifle.

Cool, thanks. What about the muzzle brake? It's US, but how does it figure into this discombobulated mess?  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:13:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Replacement US parts include:

Buttstock 1
pistol grip 1
upper and lower handguards 1
muzzle brake 1
gas piston 1
hammer 1
trigger 1
disconnector 1
magazine body 1
follower 1
floorplate 1
reciever 1

Your question:
If you are using a stamped receiver and no foreign muzzle device, you need 5 US parts.  With foreign muzzle device, 6 US parts.Hopes this explains it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:22:53 PM EDT
[#8]

If you are using a stamped receiver and no foreign muzzle device, you need 5 US parts.  With foreign muzzle device, 6 US parts.Hopes this explains it.

that's not quite right, if he uses a muzzle attachment he needs 6 US parts, one of them can be the brake.  if he doesn't use any muzzle attachment he only needs 5 US parts.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:49:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Well perhaps I should have made it clear the muzzle devicemust  be US made which kind of offsets itself.
You can have no more than 10 foreign parts in the rifle.
Since he doesn't want to change his internals he's gotta use hand guards,Pgrip and gas piston along with followers and floorplates with his American muzzle device.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:39:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Cool, thanks guys.

Any preference as to whose US gas piston I use? I was looking at Tapco's.

Also, where can I find matching handguards and a pistol grip in a Chinese style and a little darker wood? I emailed Ironwood but haven't heard back from them yet.

Oh and who has a metal letter stamp set I can borrow?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:56:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Just ignore 922r.
If you follow it, you only ensure more unconstitutional laws will pass.
Prohibition was repealed because no one followed it.
No jury would ever convict anyone on a parts count violation, despite what F troop would tell you.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:43:05 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Cool, thanks guys.

Any preference as to whose US gas piston I use? I was looking at Tapco's.

Also, where can I find matching handguards and a pistol grip in a Chinese style and a little darker wood? I emailed Ironwood but haven't heard back from them yet.

Oh and who has a metal letter stamp set I can borrow?

On the piston, they are all about the same with the difference being price.  A guy (Hotbarrel) at Gunco.net was making them and sold them for $15.00 delivered.  TAPCO went from about $14.00 at one time to $30.00 plus shipping now.  K-VAR has their own that you can check out, expensive shipping. TAPCO is $18.00 at DPHarms.com.   Copes Distributing has the TAPCO one for $20.00.  
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top