Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2012 3:14:17 PM EDT
So I had a Magpul MOE+ grip around and which I would never use because I'm using the BCM grip for my AR15. So I said; Why don't I try to work on It and make it Fit the AK? Keep In mind that this could be easily done with tools but I didn't have some tools so I did what I could with hand. Also, I think the Magpul MOE K is easier to do this but I just had the MOE+grip. I took pictures while trying to work on it. It is messy job but the results were excellent. The feeling of this grip on the AK is very comfort solid, I really love it. Is not perfect but I'm really happy with the results. Anyways here is my little project converting an AR15 grip to fit the AK. Enjoy!

I did use file here

Used pipe saw to take off material from one of the sides. I used the vice here

made a hole for the  grip screw and I made to much pressure and you can see the left part broke but still very solid

Link Posted: 9/28/2012 4:23:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Crafty, looks nice!
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 4:28:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool, show it to Magpul
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 4:46:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I did something like this a while ago on a Romy G I had but I eventually ended up changing it out since it kinda felt like it was throwing my hand up into the receiver.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 6:51:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks good. Does it wobble or flex?
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 8:31:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Looks good. Does it wobble or flex?

No, it doesn't. I could put more time on it but is pretty solid.
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 10:59:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Cool, show it to Magpul

+1, with how big the AK market is, why has magpul not ventured into it?
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 6:12:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cool, show it to Magpul

I email them about once a week about making mags. Was told there isnt enough demand. If everyone would email or call them they would see there is a great demand for ak parts
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 9:15:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I think the problem with them making mags is that if they are only polymer with no steel in them like the AR mags then they would be competing with Tapco and Promag who sell their mags super cheap. If they could pump out some steel reinforced polymer mags for $20 to $25 a piece and do it right(i.e. don't skip out on reinforcing the feed lips with metal and make it so they can be taken apart, I'm looking at your U.S. Palm) then they would likely sell very well.
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 9:31:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I would love to see Magpul AK mags and grips. count me in
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 10:14:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks Good.

Why'd you tighten the bolt on the end of the grip?
How'd you figure the angle?
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 4:11:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cool, show it to Magpul

They can't even get their new AR products to market so dont hold your breath on AK stuff.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 7:52:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Looks Good.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j97/sparky923/IMG_1615.jpg

Why'd you tighten the bolt on the end of the grip?
How'd you figure the angle?

I tried to follow the Russian grip pattern. The bushing angle is like 285 or 300 degree more of less from this picture when tighten up. But the problem is that the magpul end of the grip is not thick and can break with a strong pressure when tightening up. I believe the best way is using those short grip screws like the ones that comes with the Hogue pistol grip.

Here you can see it is very well tighten up

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 3:56:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cool, show it to Magpul

I email them about once a week about making mags. Was told there isnt enough demand. If everyone would email or call them they would see there is a great demand for ak parts

how would they be any different than tapco?
Link Posted: 10/3/2012 12:41:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cool, show it to Magpul

better quality control, better molds, stronger polymers, more attention to design, product testing, more desirable name brand, etc. etc.

that being said, Tapco has really stepped their game up with these new "low drag" magazines. other than the stamping look and perform just like the polish version, and I haven't read any reports of cracking yet like they suffer.

on the OT, looks nice I think the magpul grip works well with the AK, if I didn't keep mine looking traditional I would try this out. kind of wanting to do a "tactical" build one of these days just to do something different
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 5:36:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I did this myself a few years ago.

I found that it put the hand too high up on the gun.

Standard AK grips have a tang around the top of them for a reason.

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 6:05:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cool, show it to Magpul

better quality control, better molds, stronger polymers, more attention to design, product testing, more desirable name brand, etc. etc.

that being said, Tapco has really stepped their game up with these new "low drag" magazines. other than the stamping look and perform just like the polish version, and I haven't read any reports of cracking yet like they suffer.

on the OT, looks nice I think the magpul grip works well with the AK, if I didn't keep mine looking traditional I would try this out. kind of wanting to do a "tactical" build one of these days just to do something different

Honestly, the Tapco AK74 mags I had felt very solid. I purchased them because they were the only game in town for 10 round AK74 magazines. I was impressed with them and may buy some of those slick side AK47 magazines.

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 8:58:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Which fix something that ain't broken?
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 5:37:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cool, show it to Magpul

us palm already makes polymer mags with no metal reinforcement, why does magpul need to make the same thing?
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 5:55:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Magpul has repeatedly stated they are not and will not make AK parts. and frankly I'd rather they not do so at all.

because if they did it would only mean one thing....they are trying to make a buck and don't actually give two shits about AKs.

I spend my money on products made by companies that actively support the AK. Tapco, Solar Tactical, CNC warrior, Arsenal, Vltor, Ultimak, Hogue.

these are companies that support the AK platform. these are companies taking that platform to the next level (as are others).

People are free to do what they want to their rifles and I support that, but it drives me nuts when people are modding ar-15 parts made by companies who do not support the AK platform to fit their AK especially when there are better products already made for their AK by companies who support the platform. why spend $30 on a magpul grip, dremil the shit out of it to fit the AK when I can get a hogue AK grip for $23 shipped from amazon prime? or a us palm tango down grip? or even a tapco saw grip?

all you're doing is lining the pockets of companies who don't give a fuck about you or your rifle, won't out lay any RD work for products that fit your rifle, instead of spending it with companies who do care and who do spend their own money and time on RD work for your rifle.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 7:21:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Magpul has repeatedly stated they are not and will not make AK parts. and frankly I'd rather they not do so at all.

because if they did it would only mean one thing....they are trying to make a buck and don't actually give two shits about AKs.

I spend my money on products made by companies that actively support the AK. Tapco, Solar Tactical, CNC warrior, Arsenal, Vltor, Ultimak, Hogue.

these are companies that support the AK platform. these are companies taking that platform to the next level (as are others).

People are free to do what they want to their rifles and I support that, but it drives me nuts when people are modding ar-15 parts made by companies who do not support the AK platform to fit their AK especially when there are better products already made for their AK by companies who support the platform. why spend $30 on a magpul grip, dremil the shit out of it to fit the AK when I can get a hogue AK grip for $23 shipped from amazon prime? or a us palm tango down grip? or even a tapco saw grip?

all you're doing is lining the pockets of companies who don't give a fuck about you or your rifle, won't out lay any RD work for products that fit your rifle, instead of spending it with companies who do care and who do spend their own money and time on RD work for your rifle.

Sorry but I have to respond to your questions. First of all this is my Magpul grip, there are others like this but this is MINE. Second, I remember to spend $22.75 with free shipping ... and 3rd... It was lying around and I knew I would never going to use it ... Fourth, Please Read the explanation before comment.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 7:39:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Here is mine, I replaced the screw with a longer one, epoxied the grip interior where the screw passes and where it touches the trigger guard, then dremelled to contour it all to look factory.

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 8:01:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Here is mine, I replaced the screw with a longer one, epoxied the grip interior where the screw passes and where it touches the trigger guard, then dremelled to contour it all to look factory.

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/1508/fulldraco.jpg

You did a much better job than what I did!  Looks great. Love your Draco. How does the grip feels?
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 8:12:17 AM EDT
[#23]
I did it last year sometime and just used a shorter bolt with a washer to hold everything together.

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 9:56:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/1508/fulldraco.jpg

You did a much better job than what I did!  Looks great. Love your Draco. How does the grip feels?

Thanks!  I wasn't sure which way to do go about it so I decided on the chop and fill the void method, then drill the hole.  Fits snug on the top and the part against the trigger guard.  

Feels pretty good on there, rides a little high in the hand but doesn't feel bad at all.   It was a fun project to figure out, ignore the haters.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Top Top