Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2004 5:31:05 PM EDT
I was looking at the Krinkov kits on Kvar's website, and noticed in the picture what looks like an auto-sear, some extra stuff on the trigger, and one more of those pivot pins than is necessary for a semi-auto.  

Could I be nailed for intent to make bad things if I get the kit, but get rid of the evil parts before I buy/make a receiver for it?  I would plan on making a pistol, and finding another home for the stock.
Also, I have a Maadi, which does not have the auto-sear hole drilled (but would look nice with a folding stock).
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:44:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:44:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:07:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If you chuck the sear you should be OK, owning the parst needed to construct a MG and the reciever is considered intent, having the hole drilled and not owning the parts is also intent.

Having the 3rd hole drilled is not just intent, it is completion of making a machinegun!!!!
-C
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:20:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks all.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:10:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Worst comes to worse couldn't you weld the third hole up?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:12:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Worst comes to worse couldn't you weld the third hole up?

you would think so, but according to the BATFE, once a MG, always a MG.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:16:15 AM EDT
[#7]
ipsilateral_7 is correct, you can't just convert a MG back and forth as you please...   once a MG, always a MG: up until the point it is destroyed per BATFE specs....welding up the safety sear hole is
NOT   "per spec".  But torch cut in the approved places is...  If you welded the hole, that implies that you possessed the MG before you neutered it. Prosecutable to10 years and $250K baby.  Metalurgical exam would easily reveal it. Burden of proof might be on the alphabet guys, but WHY the heck would you bump heads with that one!

Now the real argument would be to say that re-welding a torch cut MG receiver (with the hole welded up too) would be considered a MG or not.... but I don't think anyone in good conscience would try to do that either,  but it is arguable; unless I am missing something in the regs...Regardless,  now you know why none of the parts kits suppliers aren't giving you much if any of the receiver parts anymore... there is no law against owening them as long as it was demilled properly, but these distibutors sure as hell don't want to deal with their customers experimenting with that "grey line", and having it come back to bite them in the butt.... Some importers are instructed at the bonded wharehouses to not include receiver parts either... which I think is B.s., but whatchya gonna do..... ya want the rest of the parts or not?

Point being, stay the heck away from the bloody third hole, toss out your safety sears (not that there is a law, statute or ruling that says this.... that I know of) out and have fun.

-C
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:02:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Everyone here has presented good arguments, so let me toss in something to screw up everyones ideas. Back in the early 80's when AK's first came in in quantity(Maadi) Many if not all of the early examples had a third hole, with a rivit in it. I know cause I was a dealer at that time, and sold a great many of them. Are they M.G.s or not?
Jumanra, who built the 1st workable semi bren, received permission from BATFE to weld back togather the torched receiver sections of the Bren M.G. to make his semi auto Bren. Did Batfe forget that "once a M.G., always a M.G."? According to a letter from BATFE that Jumanra posted on his website, they considered the torched m.g. receiver sections as "junk", not mg receivers, and that welding them togather, and doing some modifications to prevent insertation of F/A internals,  constituted building a new S/A receiver.

OJF
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:42:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:05:50 AM EDT
[#10]
YEs, there were some Chinese AKs that came in like that too, I have seen them, and I remember it being quite obvious that the hole was welded... Definate grey area gun....I thought there was some recal on either the Maadis or the Chinese guns???  Even if not, I sure as hell would not  want to own one and parade it around at the gunshow I saw it at....

I am in complete agreement with the statement regarding the re-welding of the Bren as a new Semi receiver. THat makes sense to me. So good of sense that I would not even think of doing it in this day and age.  Regardless, For receivers of this nature, you must change major dimensions (i.e. for an RPD, you would have to make the interior dimensions smaller as not to accept the original parts like you said) and make an open bolt gun fire from the closed bolt...as examples...
That is crazy regarding the third hole AR-15s !!!!  What year was that? They would never do that today!

Just look at the Yugo M76 8mm debacle.... these had safety sears, and were of course recalled and all that sheeite. THey don't let that stuff slip by anymore...   But there are other areas where they do still contrdict their own policy.... because their policy is so frickin hap-hazard to begin with!!!

-C
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top