Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2006 6:12:45 AM EDT
Hello everyone, this is my first post here.  Upon the rave reviews of the Century M70's, I went ahead and ordered one and picked it up last night.  Very nice looking piece.  The only problem I've encountered it that when I was stripping it down, the lever that you move up to remove the gas tube was extremely difficult to move.  I actually had to break out a hammer and punch to tap it up.  It appears that the metal to metal contact between the top of the tube where it locks in place and the metal attached to the lever to lock it is a bit too much which is causing it to bind up.  Not sure if I explained it properly.

Is this a common problem?  Thought of just filing a bit off the top of the gas tube assembly, would that be OK? I tried a bit of Mil-Spec, but it didn't help.

This is my first AK, so my terminology I'm sure is off a bit.  

Thanks for the help!!
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 6:28:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Use a small (6") Crescent wrench. Place the Tab from the lever in the side of the
wrench jaw and clamp it down as tight as you can with hand pressure.
It will extend the lever and give you more leverage to rotate the retaining lever.
Grab the wrench and slowly rotate the lever up until the block clears the
rear of the gas tube.  If you feel any excessive pressure, STOP or you might break
off the lever. Try to rotate it on the axis of the pivot, not on the tab.

Hope this helps.

KyAKGuy
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:05:24 PM EDT
[#2]
my yugo is stiff also.

i use an old buttstock type cleaning kit tube. it has a cut-out in it that is perfect to give more leverage. i don't know if it was built to do it, but it works. i wouldn't file or adjust a working part, you don't want it too loose.

2D2C
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:15:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
my yugo is stiff also.

i use an old buttstock type cleaning kit tube. it has a cut-out in it that is perfect to give more leverage. i don't know if it was built to do it, but it works. i wouldn't file or adjust a working part, you don't want it too loose.

2D2C

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:27:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
my yugo is stiff also.

2D2C

www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/images/toolkit/lock1.jpg

www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/images/toolkit/lock2.jpg

www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/images/toolkit/lock3.jpg

Freaking genius!

I still don't know what everything in that little cleaning kit does, but every time I run into some adjustment or whatever I need to do on my AK it turns out one of the tools in that kit is designed to (or can be improvised to) fix the issue.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:51:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
my yugo is stiff also.

2D2C

www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/images/toolkit/lock1.jpg

www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/images/toolkit/lock2.jpg

www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/images/toolkit/lock3.jpg

Freaking genius!

I still don't know what everything in that little cleaning kit does, but every time I run into some adjustment or whatever I need to do on my AK it turns out one of the tools in that kit is designed to (or can be improvised to) fix the issue.

www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/toolkit.htm

Enjoy.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:14:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Hello everyone, this is my first post here.  Upon the rave reviews of the Century M70's, I went ahead and ordered one and picked it up last night.  Very nice looking piece.  The only problem I've encountered it that when I was stripping it down, the lever that you move up to remove the gas tube was extremely difficult to move.  I actually had to break out a hammer and punch to tap it up.  It appears that the metal to metal contact between the top of the tube where it locks in place and the metal attached to the lever to lock it is a bit too much which is causing it to bind up.  Not sure if I explained it properly.

Is this a common problem?  Thought of just filing a bit off the top of the gas tube assembly, would that be OK? I tried a bit of Mil-Spec, but it didn't help.

This is my first AK, so my terminology I'm sure is off a bit.  

Thanks for the help!!

the part you file down just a tiddy bit is the top part of the back of the tube thats slanted at about 45 degrees.

when century builds these, they pick the tubes from a big box of em ,and if they dont fit perfect, they grind down the FRONT of the tube, you should be able to see that on most of the Century Yugos.

i had to grind down the top back of one myself

make sure you just gring it very little, it doesnt take much at all.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:45:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Every gun owner should have a punch kit, I got a cheap one from CDNN:

The lever on my yugo uf is actually a little loose, my Saiga is stiff though.  I just use the plastic punch and it budges easily.  Doesn't scratch the metal like a wrench would.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top