Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2004 8:44:57 PM EDT
I've been doing a lot of reading on this forum and found that someone out there has a muzzle threading kit for rent... Some say it is someone who goes by "wjm."  But that is all I can find in all my searching.

Anyone know how I can get ahold of him or anyone else who has the kit and wants to rent it. If not then I'll just buy the kit myself and rent it out in the future.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:05:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Brownell's has them but they are out of the "thread alignment tools".  It looks like the raised the price
of the 14x1 LH die also now $42.00.  With TAT($14.50), die, and handle($8.00) it will run you about $75.00 with shipping.   You will also need to buy a plunger pin and spring from K-Var to hold your muzzle brake on.  Make sure the front site block pin can be removed first so the plunger pin can be installed.  I just finished 2 and one of them I had to silver solder on as the pin wasn't coming out in any way.  It was welded over I believe and even after grinding down I couldn't get it out.  I didn't want to cut the front site block off and install a new one ($25.00 @ K-Var) so I soldered it.

I have a threading set and I am done with it. But it would be a risk sending it out to someone so new on the board.  

You can email wjm at the address below to rent his set and the wait is running 5 weeks for about $22.00 I think.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:22:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm looking for the same thing. I have a TAT but my die snapped.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:47:56 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I've been doing a lot of reading on this forum and found that someone out there has a muzzle threading kit for rent... Some say it is someone who goes by "wjm."  But that is all I can find in all my searching.

Anyone know how I can get ahold of him or anyone else who has the kit and wants to rent it. If not then I'll just buy the kit myself and rent it out in the future.

I rented from wjm and it worked out great.  Send an e-mail to [email protected].

Measure your muzzle to be sure.  Some SARs are turned dowm from 14mm to 1/2 in.  Works out well for me since I can now put an A2 FH on my SAR3.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 10:56:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought my own die, centering guide and handle from FAC a few years ago, and I did the barrel on my SA-85M to put on a slant brake. I was not about to remove the sight base on this beautiful rifle to make it a total correct job. I threaded until the die hit the sight base, then I turned the die around which got me right up to the base. I threaded on the brake, used some clear epoxy on the threads and indexed it with the hole in the base. I have a small gap between the brake and the sight base, but it's not something that jumps out at you. Plus, I can always go back and take the base off and do it right if I want. I could have also used a peel washer between the brake and the sight base, then gone back and darkened the peel washer with a Sharpie.
Whatever you do, you will need the centering guide, which is just a .30 caliber stub for the barrel with a threaded head so the die rides it onto the barrel, giving a straight start.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:10:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the replies... I've got an email sent off to [email protected] and I'm waiting to see what happens... If not then I'll just get my own... And rent it out also.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 1:53:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have a small gap between the brake and the sight base, but it's not something that jumps out at you.

You could use a washer to get it to fit better.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:53:35 PM EDT
[#7]
FWIW i just did a FAL without the TAT as the TAT i got from brownells did not fit my muzzle.  It was no problem though.  I just put my rifle in a vice vertically and using the proper die handle i didn't have a problem.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:16:01 AM EDT
[#8]
I got a quick reply from WJM, and now I've got my name on the list. Like I've been told by some of you it will be a 5 week wait... Better than $50 to $60.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 12:48:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Just sent an email as well. I had to search for this, so

BTT
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:47:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Done... And the wait was much shorter than 5 weeks! It actually beat the muzzle brake which still has not arrived after 2.5 weeks.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:33:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Hatchet36,  

Easy as pie wasn't it.

Did mine about two weeks ago and I only had to wait 3 weeks ( 5 quoted ) for the kit.
Pulled my front sight base and threaded back far enough to get my brake back the whole way to the fsb. Timed perfect too, tight against the base just as the index pin locked in the notch in the slant brake.

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:46:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I guess I should have pulled the FSB but I don't think it matters too much... I finally got my 74 style brake from RPBUSA.com. Nice looking, much better than others I've seen. Now I just have to wait for the pin and spring to come.

Yes it was... Easy as pie
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:40:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'm looking for the same thing. I have a TAT but my die snapped.

Was your die a FANAR? Made in Poland?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:40:44 PM EDT
[#14]
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=29&t=184735 i just sent the kit back today
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:06:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a kit I would be willing to rent. I would ask $25 shipped, payment via PayPal, with a $10 refund if the kit is returned within 10 days of shipping.

It would have the thread alignment tool, the die, and the handle part.

I used it to thread two SAR-1 barrels, and would like to help out the board members plus recover my investment. As mentioned, the set did cost about $75.00.

Email me if interested and I can start a list.

-David.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top