Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2005 10:42:20 AM EDT

My Pre-ban Hungarian underfolder has a threaded muzzle nut which is cut at a slant. I was wondering if there is an original Russian or Com Bloc part like the below muzzle brake that I could purchase that would fit the existing threads?

Here's the Hungarian:

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:22:08 AM EDT
[#1]
The Hungarian should be 14mm x 1mm Left Hand Threads, while AK74's are 22 or 24mm threads.  The Chinese offered a AK-74 style comp for 7.62  in 14x1LH threads at one time, and you can still find them from time to time at gunshows.   There may be domestic manufacturers that make them now, I haven't been in the market for one in a long time.  Bushmaster uses that style on some of their AR's (they call it the AK-style muzzle device).
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:43:23 AM EDT
[#2]
14mm to 24 mm adapter run from $15-$25.  i got one from K-Var that is chrome lined and four pin detent holes in so it will lock on nicely to the rfile you have.  krebs makes a near identicle copy of the current russian 74 brake.  he also sells adapters, but i don't know if they are drilled for the detent pin.  i wouldn't buy the 74 style brakes that fit the 14mm  tread pattern they are all cheap knock offs, and don't function as well as an original pattern brake.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:46:32 AM EDT
[#3]
just looked at your pics again.  the picture appears to be of the older soviet/ current bulgarian 74 brake.  ak-usa makes those.  k-var sells original bulgarian, and tantal has original russian stuff from time to time.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:50:43 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
14mm to 24 mm adapter run from $15-$25.  i got one from K-Var that is chrome lined and four pin detent holes in so it will lock on nicely to the rfile you have.  krebs makes a near identicle copy of the current russian 74 brake.  he also sells adapters, but i don't know if they are drilled for the detent pin.  i wouldn't buy the 74 style brakes that fit the 14mm  tread pattern they are all cheap knock offs, and don't function as well as an original pattern brake.

I only want high quality and don't want to use an adaptor.  What do you recommend?

Krebs says they make their AK74 brake in 7.62mm and 5.56mm. Would I need an adaptor with the Krebs?

Krebs
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:51:28 AM EDT
[#5]
you already have the correct muzzle brake

yes krebs has the adapters

I still don't see why you need a 74 brake on an 47, but whatever floats your boat I guess
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:53:09 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

My pic of the muzzle brake was just an example. It doesn't have to be that exact muzzle brake. I would prefer a real Com Bloc one made in 7.62mm that fits right on my gun if that is possible. If not, a really high quality aftermarket would be a second choice.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:54:19 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
you already have the correct muzzle brake

yes krebs has the adapters

I still don't see why you need a 74 brake on an 47, but whatever floats your boat I guess

The AKM kicks like crazy (especially being an underfolder) and I thought it might help reduce recoil.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:04:41 PM EDT
[#8]
This is a US copy but GT usually has good quality parts (build is a another story)
www.globaltrades.com/ak_muzzl_1.html
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:38:49 PM EDT
[#9]

The AKM kicks like crazy (especially being an underfolder) and I thought it might help reduce recoil.

Seriously?  
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:57:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Seriously?  

Have you ever fired an under-folder with a AKM stamped receiver? They are painful to shoot. The stock rail bruises your cheek, and the butt-plate painfully digs into your shoulder. You have to reposition the gun after each shot because it jars around so much. It's not a fun gun to shoot at all.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:02:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I found my Vector underfolder nicer to shoot than my Romanian WASR.  I've since sold both, but never found the recoil from either to be that bad.

I have several other rifles that are leagues worse in terms of recoil.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:10:21 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Have you ever fired an under-folder with a AKM stamped receiver? They are painful to shoot. The stock rail bruises your cheek, and the butt-plate painfully digs into your shoulder. You have to reposition the gun after each shot because it jars around so much. It's not a fun gun to shoot at all.

Mine is a Kasnner FEG underfolder, and it is no problem to shoot.  I don't notice a kick of consequence nor do I have a problem with being slapped.  I also have a Kassner with the stock.  It is a bit easy to shoot, granted, but I would choose my underfolder in a heartbeat.

Perhaps your body type is different.  I would leave the break that is on it alone.  It is designed to match the recoil of the rifle, and in my opinion looks better.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:12:30 PM EDT
[#13]
TacticalStrat             there aren't any original 74 brakes that fit the 14mmLH thread that you have.  they all need an adapter.  the krebs and ak-usa are real high quality(maybe even better than original), the only real dif is that they are not chrome lined.  your only option may be to find a polish tantal brake and ream it out for the 7.62 diameter( i have never seen one for sale, except as a part of as full parts kit).  like mentioned earlier i would stay away from any US or chinese 74 brake that says it is treaded 14mm, they have no where near the muzzle taming ability the an orginal pattern does does.  why don't you want to use an adapter?  
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top