Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/4/2014 7:05:36 PM EDT
I've been looking to mount my TLR-1sHP to my VZ-2008 without buying new furniture (I like the factory setup) and without breaking the bank.

My original plan was to bolt a rail directly under the handguard, but after mocking it up I decided that would get uncomfortable.

I then looked into clamp-on mounts, but they all seemed cheap and silly looking. So I said SCREW THIS, I can make one, MYSELF.

Then I did.

I had a piece of rail, left over from another experiment, that was already drilled and ready to bolt on.
I went to the hardware store and picked up two, 2-piece, steel collars. I ground a flat on the bottom of each, drilled and tapped, and screwed everything together.
I lined the interior diameter with some doubled-up electrical tape to prevent marring the barrel's finish.

Is it an elegant solution? Hall naw. Is it sturdy and functional? Damn skippy. I can't wait to throw some rounds downrange. The only detail I'm iffy on is how close that big, honkin' bezel is to the bayonet mount. It's like a millimeter of space, but nothing seems to want to flex so I think it should be good to go.

Thoughts? Criticisms? Suggestions for improvement? Showerings of praise?

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:06:03 PM EDT
[#1]
The only problem I see with it is where your pressure pad wire is. From the looks of it that gas block is gonna vent right onto your wiring and will be hot as hell after you pop off a full may or two.

Other than that I like it. I may do something like that myself. I've also though about pinning an AR railed gas block on the barrel upside down or off to one side to accomplish what you did.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:39:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow!  Someone who uses the same weapon light as me!

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:47:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The only problem I see with it is where your pressure pad wire is. From the looks of it that gas block is gonna vent right onto your wiring and will be hot as hell after you pop off a full may or two.

Other than that I like it. I may do something like that myself. I've also though about pinning an AR railed gas block on the barrel upside down or off to one side to accomplish what you did.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yeah, kinda wish I could shorten it up. Once I do some test-firing, I may have to move it. More importantly, I might buy some Aluminum sheeting and make a heat-shield for inside the lower handguard. Couldn't hurt, right? Because she does cook...

Quoted:
Wow!  Someone who uses the same weapon light as me!

I'm surprised I don't see more people running these. I guess they're a little chunky, but the output is incredible.

This one used to be on my AR. Once I picked up the VZ, this became my general-use carbine and my AR is now set up with a  scope for improved distance shooting and a bipod replaced the TLR. I did add a smaller, slimmer light at the 10:00 position, but no room for the TLR.
Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top