Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/13/2004 7:36:53 PM EDT
Do you have to do all the work necessary to make it a 100% receiver yourself. Or can you make it into an 81% receiver and have a gunsmith do the rest? What is a 100% or an 81% receiver?

I'm interested in the idea of a homebuilt receiver (ie one), just not sure if the investment in tools is justifiable.

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:26:19 PM EDT
[#1]
well u can buy a flat bender for like 140 if u can afford the extra cash
after u use it u can rent it out or resell it
i know if some1 had 1 for rent i would rent it
but i dont have the extra ends to just buy 1
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:16:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I think technically you could build it to something higher than the ATF "80%" mark (most 80% receivers are somewhat less than that so you would still have a good bit of work) and then have a smith do the rest.

Of course, by the time you do that you would probably be better off paying for a 100% receiver, though the no paperwork aspect of the 80% receivers is definitely pushing me towards building on them.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:39:21 AM EDT
[#3]
The "no paperwork" facet appeals to me too. The cool factor I guess. So, I'm willing to pay for that. Even if it were to end up costing a bit more than just buying a completed gun. If I drilled holes in a bent 80% blank, would it then be considered a receiver? Even if the holes were not perfect? At that point, could a smith legally finish it for me?

In addition, I suppose that it is possible that someday, the 80% threshold will become a politicized loophole that will be somehow closed. At that point, maybe it would be nice to have a stack of 80% blanks that had already been built and grandfathered into gun status. With the minimum amount of work done to get there. Just speculating on a slow day.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:11:37 AM EDT
[#4]
who sells flat benders, I am interested
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top