Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Krinkov
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2005 7:28:36 AM EDT
Seems to me the critical pat is in providing quality -- yet reasonably priced US barrels, no?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:45:14 AM EDT
[#1]
WTF
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 12:26:04 PM EDT
[#2]
WTF indeed.

Are you saying the new challenge will be to provide us made barrels that are quality and decent price?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:51:30 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
WTF

====
I should have made myself more clear:  In light of the recent BATFE barrel ban ruling , I believe "Krink" fans could appreciate quality US production AKS-74U barrels.  What are your thoughts?      
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:37:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, im sure some would appreciate them - only for a compliance part. Others, like myself prefer the true quality of a com-bloc part.

For what its worth, US made AK parts are rarely associated with quality.

We might be able to manufacture stealth bombers, but an AK receiver is too much to ask.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 11:06:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Heck, I'd love to buy a 100% US-made AK of any sort. The problem is startup costs. Developing and marketing a whole product takes a LOT of money. Most of the people who make US parts do well to afford the overhead costs associated with their specific product. Making a whole rifle is beyond their financial capacity.

Adapting the AK design to modern American manufacturing techniques is one of the challenges an aspiring maker will face. They can't simply copy a 1960s era product step by step and expect to wind up with an affordable firearm.

Galland
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 11:35:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Adapting the AK design to modern American manufacturing techniques is one of the challenges an aspiring maker will face. They can't simply copy a 1960s era product step by step and expect to wind up with an affordable firearm.

Galland

That makes some sense, but the auto makers change out their tooling about two times a decade with not  a problem and make money.  Granted they always will sell cars.  Most need them.

I would think that a company could get up the cash to fully manufacture US make AK's.  From what I understand the AR-15 with its alloy reciever is very expensive to make, but some stamped metal and a few machined parts are all it takes to make the AK.  I suppose it is demand that drives this one.  

Feel free to smack me if I am wrong.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 12:43:47 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
From what I understand the AR-15 with its alloy reciever is very expensive to make, but some stamped metal and a few machined parts are all it takes to make the AK.  I suppose it is demand that drives this one.  

Feel free to smack me if I am wrong.

You aren't wrong. I think demand has something to do with it. There are a lot of folks who want a copy of the classic Ak-47, but not enough to warrant 100% US production on a big scale. What our theoretical company would need is something with broader appeal- something similar to the Saiga line.

Galland
Page AK-47 » Krinkov
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top