Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2005 6:19:29 AM EDT
Hello All,

I would like to build a 16" Krink now, then convert it to a SBR when I move to Arizona next fall (currently in MI, a non-nfa friendly state).

kit:
http://www.k-var.com/product.asp?0=211&1=214&3=508

Question 1:
When I cut the barrel down from 16" to 8", what will I need to do? I assume I will need to open up the gas hole from the barrel ala AR15 SBR's. Will I need to change the gas tube or piston or any other hard parts?

Question 2:
What do I need to buy for this K-Var Krink Kit besides a trigger guard? I've got a OOW reciever and a RSA trigger and FAL style US pistol grip already. Anything funky with the krink kit?

Thx!!!

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:25:17 AM EDT
[#1]
you'd need a couple more US made parts in there to build it.  a gas piston and muzzle device are the typical ones used on most AK builds, but I'm not sure as to the availibility of a USA made krink piston, but you could probably turn one out on a lathe if you're hell bent on it.  or just put usa made floorplates and followers in all your mags.

when you SBR this thing, dont open the gas port up, get a real krinkov muzzle device, it is designed as an expansion chamber allowing enough pressure to cycle the super short action of the krink.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:06:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Weird, K-Var has a couple of styles of 7.62 krink flash hider:

http://www.k-var.com/subcatmfgprod.asp?0=216&1=234&2=-1&6=1

"Cone" type and "Keg" Style-- whats the difference in function? Why is the "Keg" Style a 4-piece unit?

I plan on building a 5.45 krink, but I'm curious about the 7.62 options.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:15:38 AM EDT
[#3]
This is the compliance parts count I came up with for when it is a 16" rifle-- did I miss something?

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or  
stampings --- USA
(2) Barrels --- KRINK                                      
(3) Mounting blocks (trunions) --- KRINK
(4)*Muzzle attachments --- NONE when 16"
(5) Bolts --- KRINK
(6) Bolt carriers --- KRINK
(7) Gas pistons --- KRINK
(8) Triggers --- USA
(9) Hammers --- USA
(10) Disconnectors --- USA
(11) Buttstocks --- KRINK
(12) Pistol grips --- USA
(13) Forearm handguards --- KRINK
(14) Magazine body --- KRINK
(15) Followers --- KRINK
(16) Floorplates --- KRINK

As a 16" rifle-- 10 Krink, 5 USA, no muzzle attachment
As a SBR - I don't need any USA parts, right?

Does anyone have a source for krink kits besides K-Var?

-Mitch
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:26:44 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
This is the compliance parts count I came up with for when it is a 16" rifle-- did I miss something?

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or  
stampings --- USA
(2) Barrels --- KRINK                                      
(3) Mounting blocks (trunions) --- KRINK
(4)*Muzzle attachments --- NONE when 16"
(5) Bolts --- KRINK
(6) Bolt carriers --- KRINK
(7) Gas pistons --- KRINK
(8) Triggers --- USA
(9) Hammers --- USA
(10) Disconnectors --- USA
(11) Buttstocks --- KRINK
(12) Pistol grips --- USA
(13) Forearm handguards --- KRINK
(14) Magazine body --- KRINK
(15) Followers --- KRINK
(16) Floorplates --- KRINK

As a 16" rifle-- 10 Krink, 5 USA, no muzzle attachment
As a SBR - I don't need any USA parts, right?

Does anyone have a source for krink kits besides K-Var?

-Mitch

for the 16" you'll be good to go.  I'm not sure if NFA items are subject to the 89 import restrictions or not.  and as far as the difference between the two muzzle devices, I think Campy will have to adress that
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 3:53:31 PM EDT
[#5]
koo they have the trunnions again
i was thinking of getting 1 of these
and making a mock can to go over the 16in barrel i figure if it has to be 16in might as well be doing me some good huh
altho i think if i was you id have a dealer get it for me
everytime i have orderd from kvar i feel like i just got bent over on shipping
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:57:39 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Hello All,

I would like to build a 16" Krink now, then convert it to a SBR when I move to Arizona next fall (currently in MI, a non-nfa friendly state).

kit:
http://www.k-var.com/product.asp?0=211&1=214&3=508

Question 1:
When I cut the barrel down from 16" to 8", what will I need to do? I assume I will need to open up the gas hole from the barrel ala AR15 SBR's. Will I need to change the gas tube or piston or any other hard parts?

Don't think you'd need to open the gas hole.  You *SHOULD* need only to cut & crown the barrel.  Use the existing crown as a guide.  A basic 90-degree crown would be OK.

Keep in mind the Krink is/was underpowered and that's why it has been replaced w/the AK-105.  The muzzle booster (what everyone normally calls the "Krink cone flash hider") was designed to help with the low impulse.  I'd recommend you use one when it is SBR.

Question 2:
What do I need to buy for this K-Var Krink Kit besides a trigger guard? I've got a OOW reciever and a RSA trigger and FAL style US pistol grip already. Anything funky with the krink kit?

Thx!!!

The Krink uses all the normal internals - it is a normal AK from the trunion-back.  So you should be OK.

Mitch is correct while it is a semi-auto sporter rifle.  Once you SBR the parts count no longer applies.  Logic is that the rifle is no longer a semi-auto sporter and therefore the crime bill doesn't apply.

Keep in mind that, due to the serial number registration that is required for SBR paperwork, you will have to use a store-bought (aka commercially produced) receiver.  Since a BIY from an 80% flat has no serial number, you can't register it.  You COULD register the rifle but you'd have a ton of red tape - using a $60-$75 commercial receiver would be infinitely easier for the money.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 11:27:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Wouldn't marking the maker's information (your name, city, & state) and a serial number, then filing the Form 1 be all the red tape required?
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top