Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2003 1:00:24 AM EDT
Looking for your thoughts on the KOBRA sight. Accuracy, durability, usefulness, etc.

I don’t think the AK is ever going to warrant a Leupold M1 but these little red dot sights seem rather inexpensive and might be just what I need for the AK.

I’d like to hear what kinda set you have and what you think of it.

Thanks, J
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 2:19:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Dang good.

Sturdy as an anvil.

Holds zero well after dismounting. Good thing because it must be removed for cleaning the gun.

Cannot use iron sights with scope mounted but, the unit is very fast on/off the gun.

Sits fairly high and negates a good cheek weld. Generally not a big deal with zero-magnification red dots.

For a variety of reasons, I much prefer the EKP-01 models to the newer EKP-03. I've owned both.

The problem right now is finding a new one. Tantal and Freedomoptics are both anxiously awaiting shipments from the Rodina.

Luck,

SD
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 5:30:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Sailor Dude:

What don't you like about the EKP-03?
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:40:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I saw in the shotgun news some company advertising the Kobra for $159.99.. I cant recall the name, but from lurking here I was watching for Tantal to update us and I was surprised that the Ad was run as I was under the impression they were not available anywhere
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:00:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Gentlemen, I'm still waiting on the news about availability of the Kobra sights, but still hoping to get some in stock in about 2 weeks.  Will keep everyone posted.  

There may be a few older (-14 and -15) models weaver mount Kobra's floating around, I don't want to sound presumptuous, but FWIW, I don't think anyone else has either of the two AK mount Kobra's in stock in the U.S.  
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 9:14:39 AM EDT
[#5]
SDs biggest reason to prefer the older type Kobra is the sun shade, which he called a BFD in Arizona. Ohio sunshine is no problem with the newer model. There are several varients that evolved over the years, mainly a beefier side bracket and the option of a coin battery. I enjoy the newer coin battery model, and Swiss lithium replacements are $3 at Radio Shack. The 1.8 moa dot (or line width on other reticles) is a fine compromise between speed and detail work. I prefer the dot over chevron to adjust the point of impact at varied distances with the 7.62 round.
The Aimpoint dot is certainly crisper, but I would nto call the Kobra fuzzy.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 10:02:05 AM EDT
[#6]
SDs biggest reason to prefer the older type Kobra is the sun shade

There is also the issue of weight. Working from what I laughingly refer to as my memory, it seems the newer gen model came in about 27% heavier than the older model; both cases include mount and batteries.

The older model also sits about 0.30" lower; the cheek weld situation is a little better than the newer model.

The controls on the older model are positioned better IMHO for right handers. Vice versa for lefties.

Finally, there is battery access. On the newer model you have to pull the scope off the rifle to change batteries: No big deal on the bench but, a real PITA in the field.

The differences are not humungous. Availability is the current problem. If you have the opportunity to snag a newer gen, I'd grab it.

Luck,

SD
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 11:06:39 AM EDT
[#7]
They still sell them at FSU Connections. http://www.rusmilitary.com/html/c-sight_cobra-mil.htm

They cost a little more. £115.00 . Maybe 30 or $40.00 more, but they have them in stock, and ship right away. I got one from them after getting tired of waiting for others to get them back in stock.
I love mine. I can't get it zeroed completely. It's a little bit low. I think I have to unscrew the dial, and give it more room. It's a lot of fun to shoot with. I plan on getting a cheek piece and a stock extension soon to help with the cheek weld.  
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top