Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2002 5:46:37 PM EDT
Today.

One in 308 with wood furniture and three shortys in 223/39/308.  All of them had slight misalignment of either the gasblock or the front sight block or a little of both.  The wood furniture one had the worst front sight cant.  Has anyone else observed this?  I was having flashbacks of a "everythings crooked on my SAR experience".  Is Century covertly assembling these and we don't know it?  
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 3:44:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 3:48:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I recently rec'd. my Izmash/Saiga/EAA 7.62 with sporter furniture, ak-74 brake and pistol grip and its as straight as an arrow. The buttstock is small and the sling swivels are third rate, but a good looking rifle. Can't wait to shoot it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 4:01:27 PM EDT
[#3]
All four had traditional sporter stocks.  Three black plastic and one wood.  I was just kidding about the Century part.  I'm certain they are direct from the factory.  They don't look chopped by a middle man.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 4:53:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Joedirt is correct, all conventionally stocked Saigas, both wood and polymer, are stock from the Izhmash factory in Russia.  No US parts are needed in these guns.  The conversions to Hicap and pistolgrip are mostly done by Hesse (which seems to be okay since they don't mess with the barreled action) and Chris at AK-USA (who does an excellent job).

That having been said, I recently sent my .223 Saiga back to the dealer because the rear sight housing was pressed on crooked.  Go figure.  I think they're chunking them out too fast in Russia to meet the rabid US demand for them.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 2:17:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I have owned three AK's and on all of them there has been some form of misalignment on either the fron sight of the gas block. My romanian and my egyptian Maadi were the worst. I have sworn off AK's because it is almost impossible to get one that is 100% correct in its construction. I'll stick with AR types.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 2:48:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't know how many companies are converting this rifle.I have see the Hesse on joeken.com.I have an EAA converted one in .223 for sale.14"BBL with 74 style brake welded on.1 10rnd and 3 30rnd Bulg. mags $450

Nice rifle but I need a .308
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 3:54:08 PM EDT
[#7]
It's actually not all that uncommon for the front sight block to be SLIGHTLY misaligned on many AK's, even the military ones.  I have several Russian and one Lithuanian customer, all prior Soviet armed forces vets and they have told me that the front sight blocks were sometimes canted a little, but that it didn't make that much difference when it came to hitting the targets that they needed to.

True, the Century Romanian rifles and some of the post ban Maadi's have very serious problems with this, but by and large the higher quality AK's don't.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top