Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2003 7:14:00 PM EDT
Any idea why you always see Israeli troops with M16 carbines instead of Galils?
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:44:10 PM EDT
[#1]
They get military aid from us.  The requirement is that they have to use that aid to purchase American made equipment.  They can get M16s far cheaper than they can make the Galil.

Go read here:

www.isayeret.com
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 11:21:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I am told that they weere not popular with combat infantrymen, and the M16 was brought back to replace them. They were moved to rear and reserve units.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 12:16:42 AM EDT
[#3]
M16s actually appear to be preferred to Galils simply for their weight savings and their adaptability to optics and accessories.

Galils are in use mainly with Tank and Artillery units and reserve units.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 12:42:32 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
M16s actually appear to be preferred to Galils simply for their weight savings and their adaptability to optics and accessories.

Galils are in use mainly with Tank and Artillery units and reserve units.

Lumpy has it right.

Also when you speak with IDF troops they usually like the M16 series much better for the sights, mag release and better accuracy over the Galil. I agree with them on all points.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 4:46:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Hmmm..........Israeli chicks with rifles!

Link Posted: 12/29/2003 1:36:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If they were in a desert war, like we were in Iraq a few months ago, I think you would see more soldiers walking around with Galils, while M4s would mainly be found on the ground next to dead ones.

That explains ever loss we took in the Gulf
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 5:11:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Im not even going to be baited into this.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:21:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Here is a link with some interesting Israeli rifle info. Some of it I have never seen anywhere else (ever see a Magal?):

www.israeli-weapons.com/israeli_weapons_small_arms.html

Check this out too: www.defense-update.com/news/62302tavor.htm

"IMI Tavor assault rifle has been selected as the future weapon for Israel Defense Forces infantry units. (The) Tavor proved to be significantly more accurate and reliable compared to the M4..."
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:45:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Reminds me of the story about the group of friends who had told the same jokes so many times they just started to number them.

We should just number all the AK vs. AR arguments, so when the rehash inevitably comes, we have less to type.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:55:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Here is a link with some interesting Israeli rifle info. Some of it I have never seen anywhere else (ever see a Magal?):

"IMI Tavor assault rifle has been selected as the future weapon for Israel Defense Forces infantry units. (The) Tavor proved to be significantly more accurate and reliable compared to the M4..."

Well.

Considering I talk to people who are getting shot at in Israel almost on a daily basis.
I will tell you this.
The IDF guys absolutely love the M4/CAR15 over the Galil.
Keep in mind the IDF have units that fight in Cold Mountain climate, hot sandy desert and most of  it all urban. They dont have the problems our soldiers have and I think that says a whole lot about the user of the weapon and how well they use PM.

Honestly the M16 series can work well in any environment included desert. AS LONG AS ITS CLEANED on a regular basis.
Sure the AK type rifles wouldn't have to be cleaned as much. But I rather have a weapon that lighter and I can hot what I am aiming at when its time to kill or be killed and have to clean my gun a little more.

BTW: The Tavor from what I hear is a great weapon.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 4:07:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Awwwwwwwww come on lumpy......... Do it!
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 4:14:33 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well.

Considering I talk to people who are getting shot at in Israel almost on a daily basis.
I will tell you this.
The IDF guys absolutely love the M4/CAR15 over the Galil.
Keep in mind the IDF have units that fight in Cold Mountain climate, hot sandy desert and most of  it all urban. They dont have the problems our soldiers have and I think that says a whole lot about the user of the weapon and how well they use PM.

Honestly the M16 series can work well in any environment included desert. AS LONG AS ITS CLEANED on a regular basis.
Sure the AK type rifles wouldn't have to be cleaned as much. But I rather have a weapon that lighter and I can hot what I am aiming at when its time to kill or be killed and have to clean my gun a little more.

BTW: The Tavor from what I hear is a great weapon.

Though I am not a big fan, I agree that a AR can handle the inclement weather and all else.

Some of us just prefer our weapons to be lower maintenance.
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top