Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2006 10:50:56 AM EDT
I have been seriously looking at buying my first AK, VEPR or Vector, but I keep seeing more about this ammo shortage issue.  How often do these shortages happen?  Is this due to government crap?

This is making me a bit hesitant to purchase an AK.  I do have a Norince SKS and about 500 rounds of Silver Bear SP.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:58:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Buy one.  No, in fact buy 2.  This 7.62x39 ammo shortage can't last forever.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:59:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Get one in .223
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:00:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Buy one. There will be no "shortage" in a month or two.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:23:50 AM EDT
[#4]
So, I take it the shortages are cyclical?  I was not sure if the ATF was doing its thing again or what.  I have considered one in 5.56, but I think if I go AK then I want to go 7.62.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:29:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Also, how well do most AKs handle soft points?  They work great in my SKS.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:35:11 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Like they handle every other round, with out fail.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:46:41 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Like they handle every other round, with out fail.

beware of Hollow Points though.  I have a AK-USA 74 that sometimes has problems with Wolf HPs.  I attribute it to the original intended purpose of the rifle when it was a bulgarian military rifle, and that was to shoot FMJ like every other AK.  Some others have had problems with HP and maybe soft points.  

and no any dealer that convinces you the 7.62 and 5.45 are drying up is trying to sell you his over-priced crap.

just a heads up.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:08:56 PM EDT
[#8]
You may even want to buy a kit or two, either as a project or as a possible investment.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:44:18 PM EDT
[#9]
so nobody is truly concerned that 5.45 will totally dry up? Seems very unlikely as there is a market for it......but like the orignal poster I am buying my first AK, an SLR-105, and the ammo shortages make me nervous.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:53:44 PM EDT
[#10]
VEPR. No problem with FMJ, SP, HP...any point! Am I making the point? Buy it, you'll be glad you did.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:39:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have been seriously looking at buying my first AK, VEPR or Vector, but I keep seeing more about this ammo shortage issue.  How often do these shortages happen?  Is this due to government crap?

This is making me a bit hesitant to purchase an AK.  I do have a Norince SKS and about 500 rounds of Silver Bear SP.

Thanks.

Even if Wolf ammo was banned tomorrow, there are so many AK's and SKS's that a domestic manufacturer of inexpensive 7.62X39 would pop up to fill in the void.  No, it wouldn't be as cheap as Wolf but because of the quantity produced it would still be inexpensive.  

Buy an AK because you want an AK.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:53:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Best advice I've heard in a long time,it makes me want to go out and get another one too!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:55:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Best advice I've heard in a long time,it makes me want to go out and get another one too!

Believe me, JOHNO, I've taken my advice on many occasions.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:12:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I just bought my first AK  2 monthes ago and I have over 3000rnds of Wolf. If Sportsmans ever gets my order to me I will have over 5k.

The ammo is out there, you just have to jump on it when you see it.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top