Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/29/2006 12:56:44 PM EDT
While trying to install a replacement HG on my Bulgarian -74, I decided it was different from a -47. Is the Bulgrain HG retainer different? Is there a common modification?

How about removing the upper HG from the Tube? Used to be I could roll the wood out, but the plum/pastic is being recalcitrant. More force? BFH? Get a grip?

TIA!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:29:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/29/2006 1:30:16 PM EDT by Darkest2000]
the 74, AKM, and Milled receiver AKs(AK47) all use different lower handguards.

The stamped receiver AK handguards should be interchangeable though.

You can modify a stamped receiver handguard to fit a milled receiver AK, although I really don't see why anyone would want to do that instead of getting a proper handguard.

As for removal of upper handguard, in my experience plastic handguards are actually much easier to remove than wooden ones. I usually am able to do with with bare hand after mounting the rear end of the tube onto a vise. I guess you just need to use more force.

Wrapping a towel around the upper helps too.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:33:40 PM EDT
"Recalcitrant." I had to look that one up. I like that word!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:18:24 PM EDT
Thanks: the HG retainer on the Bulgarian has small folds that seemed to interfere w/ the HG set I had chosen. I'll 'notch' the HG to accept this.

The upper HG (plum) was very reluctant to roll off like the wood I've done. I did not attempt to use a vise (chicken I am). Since it is rectangular (or has parallel sides at the aft end), I'll try that.

Thanks again. Any more advice by others will alos be appreciated.
Top Top