Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2005 10:10:54 PM EDT
It will also incidently be my first rifle.

Called all the local stores here in Corpus Christi, Tx and only one place has any SKSs and its a Yugo, and they want $150 for it.

I've seen plenty of posts on several places for people getting thiers for about $100, but I've checked gunbroker and a few other places and after S&H and FFL fee it comes out to about the same. So is $150 a reasonable price for a Yugo or are there some other places I should look for getting one cheaper?

Also I like the look of the spike bayonet better than the blade bayonet, would I have any problems with putting a spiked bayonet on a Yugo?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:41:18 AM EDT
[#1]
From what I've seen, the $100 rifles are all pretty beat.  I would rather pay a few bucks more and get a rifle that's in great shape.  

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:46:40 PM EDT
[#2]
The ones for $100 are most likely beat up...I agree you should spend a little more and get a 'new' one.

Aimsurplus has them for $139 + shipping.

Aim Surplus Yugo SKS

Remember also that a lot of the guys that are getting these cheaper are most likely C&R FFL holders...that way we eliminate the FFL transfer part of it.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:16:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I got mine at my local Duhnams sporting goods store for $119.00. This rifle is in no way beat up. I got to hand pick mine from around 10 or so that they had in stock at the time. They always have them listed on sale. The gun was packed in cosmo and it took me several hours just to clean the cosmo off it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:01:35 PM EDT
[#4]
heh alright, well sometime next week if they still have it I'm going to go to that store I called up and see in what condition the rifle appears to be, if it looks good I'll probably just pick it up then and there.

Is there anything in particular that I should check for condition wise?

If its not all that great I might just go that AimSurplus route. For that though I have to have a dealer order it for me too, correct because its not just a transfer?

Also do the rifles from Aimsurplus come packed in cosmoline?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:01:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Well I now own my first rifle, and first SKS.

I bought the rifle, a softcase, and and good bit of ammo for under $200.

I went to the range to fire shoot my 1911 and also my new SKS, I put 60 rounds through it, one thing about it though is that it has a fiberglass stock instead of the standard wooden one, and I think at some point in the future I would like to pick up a wooden stock.

I'm going to assume the rifle was decently accurate, I honestly cant tell since I'm not yet as good aiming a rifle as I am a handgun. Damn left eye dominance. I guess I'm just going to have to keep practicing.

About how much would a used wooden stock cost me? Also if I wanted to sell the current stock I have about how much would it go for?

I'm also interested in other SKS accessories, the rifle I bought came with what I've figured out is the cleaning rod which was stashed between the barrel and the bayonet. It was funny when I was shooting it and decided to flip the bayonet out, and then I was wondering why the hell this metal piece of the rifle was loose and came out.

On gunbroker I'm going to be picking up the following.

www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?item=36351148

which has some much needed stripper clips as none of the local stores I checked with had any, and also what I presume to be the rest of the standard cleaning kit which goes in the buttstock.

Later once I learn how to actually aim right I will probably pick up the sight adjustment tools, and just for fun someday I'll play with it I'm going to get one of those grenade launching adapters.

Is there anything else missing there, or can anyone else recommend any other accessories.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top