Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2003 1:32:06 PM EDT
Okay, I'm going to buy an AK.  I was set on an SAR-1 from AIMSurplus, but then I did a little looking around and saw that Southern Ohio Gun has "Romanian AK-47"s for about $20 less.  Figuring that Romanian AK's were  SAR-1's, I emailed SOG and asked if the Romanian AK's on the website were, in fact, SAR-1's.  Their reply was: "They are not the SAR-1".

So my question is, what is it?  Are SAR-1's not Romanian AK's?  What is SOG selling?  Am I better off paying $20 more for an SAR-1?  I've heard good things about the SAR-1's from AIM, and the ones they're selling now are the 2003 models.  I need some guidance here!

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 1:36:02 PM EDT
[#1]
The guns SOG has are most likely wasr-10 which is a low cap gun converted to take high caps. I have heard some of the conversions are not the best in workmanship. I would spend the extra $20 for an SAR.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 3:00:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I own 2 SAR 1s and 1 WASR 10 hi-cap. There are minute diferences between the 2. Some WASRs were redone by Century Arms to accept the hi-cap mags. When they arrive here they only take 10 round mags. I find no differences in shooting the 2 or anything else. All being what they are I would buy the SAR 1, $20 is nothing to worry about. Both good guns its just a personnal like or dislike.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 3:07:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Due to the shortage of SAR-1 rifles. All the old WASR-10 rifles that have been sitting around are being converted. As stated earlier, quality can vary.

SOG is not a very good company to deal with in things like this. If these is a problem with the rifle, it is your problem, and they will do nothing to help you out.

My 2 cents, spend the extra $20 and go with the ZSAR from AIM.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top