Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2004 7:28:05 PM EDT
I have a Polytech AKS that was reconfigured into a post ban sporter model and I would like to have it reconfigured back the way it is supposed to be with an underfolder, bayo lug, and flash hider.  Right now it has the sporter stock, no lug, and a welded on barrel nut.  

What is the best way for me to achieve this?   If at all possible I would like to do the work myself
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:20:00 PM EDT
[#1]
The expiration of the AWB, did not change the rules about imported rifles, proceed with caution, unless your going to bury it.

After discussing this topic with others, it looks like you need an american made receiver as a base, and enough american made parts to produce underfolders with the lug.  

This would apply to all the romaks, MAK's and others.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:43:26 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The expiration of the AWB, did not change the rules about imported rifles, proceed with caution, unless your going to bury it.

After discussing this topic with others, it looks like you need an american made receiver as a base, and enough american made parts to produce underfolders with the lug.  

This would apply to all the romaks, MAK's and others.

I am aware of the 922 compliance BS,  I should be able to do it with my polytech reciever
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:33:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't think you need to worry about 922R BS, if that rifle is prebane which it should be since it's in the usa, and all Chinese made weapons were banned from import in....1989? Your problem will be finding Chinese parts. Most Euro made parts will not fit chinese guns. a chinese underfolder extends out at a downward angle. A bulgarian underfolder stock might work, might have to thin down the rear trunnion.

OJF
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:20:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Oh wow.  You definately need to worry about 922r.  You can use your current receiver.  I dont know the exact parts count, but im sure someone will come right along and post that in a minute.

Most of the time you can get away with 3 parts in the fire control group, a stock and one or both front handguards.  You need one extra since you sound like youre going to use a muzzle device.  Just put on an american brake or FH and you're set.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:38:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Lol... In these days of orange alerts, homeland security, etc... I think the last thing that any federal, state or local prosecutor would want to do would be to expand budgetary/man power resources in prosecuting one man for one rifle of dubious 922 compliance.  if it helps you sleep at night, then you should play the 922 game.  honestly though, i wouldn't exactly sweat where your rifle's pistol grip was manufactured...  
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:45:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Jeff,
      you need to replace 5 of your imported parts for US parts,if you want an imported slant break you'll have to have 6 US parts.You can replace your hammer,trigger,disconnector,gas piston.That will bring you up to 4 US parts without affecting the outside appearance of the Chi Com AK.For the other two,you can use a US mag follower and floorplate.

The hard part will be finding the replacement Chinese parts,Poly Tech has the correct buttstock but the pistol grip,front stght base and gas block will be tough,but not impossible,to find.Check the Equipment Exchange here and on other boards.Good luck to you.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:53:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:44:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Was your receiver originally meant for an underfolding stock?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:09:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Well,  The AK I have is a Polytech AKS 762 but was one of them that got trapt by the ban after it was already in the US.  The BATF reconfigured it taking all the so called "evil features" off and ingraved an SP onto it to classify it a sporter.   As far as it originally having an under folder I dont know.  I would like to be able to make it look like it is supposed to and would like an underfolder but if not easy I would be happy with an authentic looking wood stock, pistol grip and hand gaurds.

Another one of my big problems is how to relpace the bayonet lug.  It appears I may have to do quit a bit of work for this.  

I know I will be able to get the threaded barrel nut off with a little grinding with a drimmel.

This is the only AK that I have owned so alot of this stuff is unchartered waters for me so that why I am here
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:07:49 AM EDT
[#10]
I have one of the "caught in the ban" Polytechs.  You can get a like NIB Chinese furniture set from RPBUSA.  If fact RPB's sets  probably came off our rifles.  You can get a new barrel assembly with bayo lug and non welded thread nut from polytechparts.com. ,but if you are mechanically challenged like me you would have to get a smith to switch barrels.  You can also get the furniture sets from Polytech but they are a lot more expensive than RPB.  As you said, you can carefully dremel the welds from the barrel nut on your current barrel to use the threads.    
RPB also has cheap USA made magazine followers and floorplates.  I use those and US FCG (5 parts) to stay 922 compliant with the Chinese furniture.
I don't think our rifles came as underfolders.   I know the underfolders look way cool and I have not shot one but just tying to get a sight picture dry firing one I can't imagine them being comfortable to shoot.    
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 1:20:00 PM EDT
[#11]
One of my MAK 90s has the receiver for the underfolding stock,there is a rivet with washers in the stock mounting hole.I've removed the rivet,cut off the tang that was welded to the rear trunion and smoothed up the back plate.I could'nt find the Chinese buttstock assembly so I used a stamped type III folding buttstock.It works and looks great.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top