Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2005 7:33:56 PM EDT
I have been debating whether or not to use screws or rivets, I leaning more to the screws.
I would like to ultimatly rivet the AK but no $ for tools nor can I find someone in the Dallas area who can help me.

anyone of you guys using something else besides those plain ol' hex-head round screws, maybe something more flashy?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:47:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Well Donovan, here's what I've learned here:

Screws will work. They aren't the preferred method of building an AK, but as you said, you don't seem to have many options. I'm a little surprised you can't find anyone in Dallas to help you, but anyway...

The MAIN reason why you see people use those black allen screws so much is because chances are they are grade 8 screws (or at least should be).  You could use other types of shiny screws but they lack the strength of the grade 8 units.

As far as 'special' riveting tools, well, all you really need is a hammer, some flat head punches, and a bodyman's dolly. Maybe not the easiest tools to use, but they do work.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:53:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Donovan...

Rivets are the way, the truth and the light (or life whichever version you prefer). Screw builds are ok, but you will really like the results from a good rivet build.

I'm in the Dallas area and would be happy to help with a rivet build.

What kind of kit are you wanting to build up?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:23:04 AM EDT
[#3]
This must be the place I insert the picture of the "ex" right?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:49:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Here's a pic (as requested) of my 2 and only screw builds.  I screwed 2 then riveted 6 so far.  If someone is willing to help you rivet, then rivet!  I wish I had someone nearby that would have done that for me- I had to figure it out on my own.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:55:24 AM EDT
[#5]

My first two builds were screwed.  They were very sturdy and I'm confident that they were completely safe.  Still, I think rivets are much better, and  I've since disassembled them and riveted them back together. The rivets filled the threaded holes perfectly.

So, go ahead and use screws now, if you'd like.  You can always "fix" it later.  

I would strongly recommend pulling the barrel before removing the rivets and threading the front trunnion.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:32:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's my 4 screw builds.  I've riveted two others with friends but will continue to screw mine.  The top two are built on OOW receivers using grade 8 flathead allen screws and the bottom two are on bent Tapco flats using grade 8 buttonhead allen screws.  I've shot roughly 1500 rounds through the top rifle, the stocked AMD-65 without a single problem,  not even a loose screw.  Rivets may be superior in keeping your AK original, but as far as functionality is concerned I've seen no valid tests showing that for a semi auto AK rivets have any advantages over screws.  

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:13:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Bulgarian AK74 kit on OOW receiver:

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:47:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Here's my screw job:

Wait a minute... did you mean something else?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:34:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Who did that?? A five-year-old with some white-out??  Are those even the correct letters? That looks horrible.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:45:03 AM EDT
[#10]
I think it looks good.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 12:30:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Here's my latest screw job
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:18:28 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
img224.imageshack.us/img224/8894/prettygirlsmall4wd.jpg</a>

WINNER!!!!
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:19:01 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
img224.imageshack.us/img224/8894/prettygirlsmall4wd.jpg

Ah yes....Russian Red Furniture....I love it
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:25:02 PM EDT
[#14]
When you screw them together do you use LocTite (red or blue) or do you stake the screws?

Or are they just torqued into place?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:39:01 PM EDT
[#15]
I used red Loctite.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:58:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Here are my first builds. Both screw jobs and both romy G's. Just started my third tonight, a polish underfolder and it's gonna be a rivet job.

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:08:13 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Here's my screw job:

img274.imageshack.us/img274/7780/slr1050012wp.jpg

Wait a minute... did you mean something else?

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top